cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements
Please be advised, the GuideMe Wizard is no longer available on the Small Business Support Community. For search capability please use the community search field to find content related to Cisco Small Business documents, videos, and discussions.
Views
Helpful
Replies
Beginner

Ipad, Iphone, Mobile Apps and Webdav support

I have just purchased the NSS 324 which is a superb bit of hardware. I am however having some difficulties with support as i have both an iphone and an ipad. Neither of which formats properly via the mobile safari web interface, in addition to this apart from the Tech Support app there are no indivdual apps to take advantage of the wonderful features which are available. So my questions are:

- Is there going to be a management app for multimedia station etc. So we can upload and download stuff remotely from a mobile device specifically designed for this device (not an ftp app)

- WebDav just does not work remotely and one connection at a time via Cisco access now isn't going to cut it (mind you FTP works great!!!) but i have become accustomed to using Webdav and given the option i thought it would be as simple as my Synology box.

Any Help would be most appreciated as most of my morning was devoted to getting webdav configured for remote connectivity via my mobile and offsite pc but to no avail.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Participant

Louis,

For the mobile multimedia solution, have you tried using the Twonky Media server built-in to the Smart Storage device and using an app like Twonky Mobile, Plug Player, etc.  This could cover your streaming media case.  This probably only works locally though.

You should only need port 80 open for remote WebDAV (or port 8081 if you enabled SSL, and left the default port number).

Have you seen the WebDAV application note posted to Cisco.com.  It part of a series of technical references that are available. 

5 REPLIES 5
Participant

Louis,

Thanks for the comments.

We'll look into the iphone/ipad browser compatibility issue for future releases.  I think someone else mentioned the scroll bar is missing.  So navigation difficult unless you use the menu tree on the left and know where every icon is.

For your Multimedia Station management app: Are you looking for an app that just downloads/uploads media to the mobile device for playing locally by the mobile device?

For your WebDAV remote comment:  Can you get WebDAV to work properly locally, but not over your WAN connection?  Can you give a brief summary of the setup you are trying to get to work?

Thanks

Beginner

Hello Doishi, thank you for your reply really appreciated. i can cope with administration from a computer but it would be great if there was an app or even a mobile version whenver you need to administer from elsewhere.

For multimedia i was trying to use it for streaming music to my mobile device and upload/download content remotely. At present i can upload and download via ftp locally and remotely with no probs but the app costs over £5 per license. streaming is however a no-no as i cant find an app that does it on the fly.

Webdav ooohh Webdav... i can map the drive locally with no issues at all, the problem begins when i do the same remotely. I have attempted to map it remotely via several programs inclusive of windows 7 built in utility, webdrive and netdrive, but to no avail.

Its a ddns setup which works fine (with the relevant ports opened) and eveything works great with the exception of webdav. Am i missing something? even though webdav is enabled and is an extension of the http protocol does it have a different port? as i cant get this to go remotely.

Kind Regards

Participant

Louis,

For the mobile multimedia solution, have you tried using the Twonky Media server built-in to the Smart Storage device and using an app like Twonky Mobile, Plug Player, etc.  This could cover your streaming media case.  This probably only works locally though.

You should only need port 80 open for remote WebDAV (or port 8081 if you enabled SSL, and left the default port number).

Have you seen the WebDAV application note posted to Cisco.com.  It part of a series of technical references that are available. 

Beginner

You are the "man" Doishi and i have now bookmarked both links, in true Linux fashion realised the folders were case sensitive so "Multimedia" http://nas-ip/multimedia would be incorrect. Also the entire folder structure is not viewable via just http://nas-ip, I can only put this down to security which to be honest is great. Just one last question how can i use this device to take advantage of Torrents? as the download station does not do it.

Highlighted
Participant

Louis,

Glad you are getting the Smart Storage device to do what you want.  There is no support for Torrents in the Download Station.  The only way to add support is by adding an additional application.

One way to do this is to use Optware.  There is another thread in the forum about rtorrent being installed successfully.  I'm not sure if rtorrent is a web application or a command line application though.  You can look into Optware as a possibility.  If you need help, the support forum may be able to help out.