cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements
Please be advised, the GuideMe Wizard is no longer available on the Small Business Support Community. For search capability please use the community search field to find content related to Cisco Small Business documents, videos, and discussions.
Views
Helpful
Replies
Beginner

Is it possible to install Microsoft Storage Server on Cisco NSS 322?

As the NSS 322 doesn't seem to support Microsoft Offline files (I've been told by Cisco support that this is a "common problem" with network-attached storage devices, but I've got offline files working OK with a basic linux box, so I don't believe this to be true), can we install a copy of MS Storage Server 2008 on it instead? Anyone have any experience with this?

5 REPLIES 5
Rising star

Re: Is it possible to install Microsoft Storage Server on Cisco

Hi redcitrus,

Thank you for posting. The NSS300 series are not designed to allow other operating systems to be installed. If it is possible it is not supported or recommended by Cisco.

Beginner

I spoke with several Cisco Reps who directed me to purchase these products:

1x Small Business Network Storage Server NSS322

2x Small Business Router SMB|RV042 4PORT RT (one for our two person office on the East Coast & one for our Rep on the West Coast)

I was told this is what I needed to buy from Cisco to run:

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2008

Quick Books Enterprise

Can you tell me if:

1. I am suppose to install SBS2008 via a portable DVD drive on the NSS322, or if I have to work around this as outlined here:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/datacenter/two-ways-to-circumvent-the-dvd-drive-requirement-for-installing-windows-server-2008/324

2. If I have been misguided in my purchase & SBS2008 can not be run from the server I purchased from Cisco?

3.If I have not purchased the correct item from Cisco, which item should I purchase to run SBS2008 & QuickBooks?

I can not get in touch with a Cisco Rep at this moment b.c. of a technical issue... yikes!

Please advise, as I have little time to start setting up.

Beginner

I think I have read enough to realize that I do not have the right equipment. Can someone recommend a Cisco Server (not a storage server/NAS). I need to get things running & there are a lot of technical issues so I can't get through to anyone via phone at Cisco.

Highlighted
Participant

You can investigate the UCS C-Series servers http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10493/index.html

Beginner

Thanks for writing back. Sounds like the super small business we have can be run using a regular computer that we use as a server. It is possible that there was no need for a Cisco purchase. I am calling Cisco Small Business Tech Support in the morning. I will mention the server you suggested. I appreciate your feedback.