cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Welcome to the Cisco Small Business Community

Have a question? Click on a topic board below to get started in the community.
Get the latest news in this issue of the Cisco Small Business Monthly Newsletter

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

NS322 unresponsive

HI,

I am running NS322 with TimeMachine and fileservices through AFP and SMB/CIFS for a number of Macs.

Every couple of weeks the systems stops responding. First observation is Backups fail (or indicate as delayed). Cannot start Admin GUI. Server times out.

Today I managed to ssh to the system (with a lot patience). Every command takes many minutes to execute (if at all). ps command shows an endless number of mDNSResponderPosix processes:

8266 admin       564 S N /usr/sbin/mDNSResponderPosix -f /etc/config/mDNSRespo

8268 admin       564 S N /usr/sbin/mDNSResponderPosix -f /etc/config/mDNSRespo

8307 admin       560 S N /usr/sbin/mDNSResponderPosix -f /etc/config/timemachi

8353 admin       552 S N /usr/sbin/mDNSResponderPosix -f /etc/config/timemachi

8366 admin       560 S N /usr/sbin/mDNSResponderPosix -f /etc/config/mDNSRespo

8373 admin       492 D N /usr/sbin/mDNSResponderPosix -f /etc/config/mDNSRespo

8535 admin       488 S N /usr/sbin/mDNSResponderPosix -f /etc/config/mDNSRespo

8624 admin       556 S N /usr/sbin/mDNSResponderPosix -f /etc/config/timemachi

8627 admin       580 D N /usr/sbin/mDNSResponderPosix -f /etc/config/timemachi

8629 admin       580 R N /usr/sbin/mDNSResponderPosix -f /etc/config/mDNSRespo

8649 admin       580 R N /usr/sbin/mDNSResponderPosix -f /etc/config/timemachi

The harddisk indicators are pretty busy, so I hesitate to just power cycle.
Need help!
Peter

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Peter,

Haven't come across this issue before, but first thing i would do --> go ahead and reboot the NSS. If you're SSH into the NSS322 just  type [~]# reboot and this should reboot the NSS so you can get back into the Web Gui. After getting back into Web gui please make sure you are running the latest firmware on the unit. If you are still on 1.0.0 then upgrade in increments to 1.1.0,1.2.0,1.3.0 to 1.4.0 and then test. Also please post your system logs so i can review them.

Thanks,

Jason Bryant

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

Highlighted

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the hints. I wish I could have rebooted from the command line, but the teminal window did not finish the ps command (because unresponsive) and it was somewhere close to number of 30k processes. Attempts to open another session did not succeed. Finally, after the disks became quiet, I did it the hard way with the power button on the system.

I am on firmware 1.3.0, I thought that is the latest. Will check for 1.4 (wow, released yesterday...).

I have seen other *nix systems running out of resources because the max number of processes was reached. Could be the case her and the cause of the system not responding. The question is why did this happen. The process showing up is related to Apple networking and there is a vague chance that using the TimeMachine feature while sending the clients to sleep it gets caught by not cleaning up stale processes/handles. Another factor may be that I access the same shares through AFP and SMB, but that is just a wild guess.

The logs do not show anything specific but I can verify that TimeMachine connected fine about every hour, then the client(s) went to sleep and the next day it obviously failed and retried every couple of minutes. The number of connects is much smaller than the number of processes observed, but that may be the nature of the connect process.

I do not expect the bug is fixed if it was not observed before, but I will try 1.4 firmware...

Peter

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Peter,

After upgrading to latest firmware and the problem still persists please call Cisco Small Business Support Center and open a support case on your issue 1-866-606-1866 so we can start trouble shooting and find the root cause.

Thanks

Jason Bryant

Cisco Support Engineer