cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements
Please be advised, the GuideMe Wizard is no longer available on the Small Business Support Community. For search capability please use the community search field to find content related to Cisco Small Business documents, videos, and discussions.
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

NSS322 file and web server stop responding

Hi,

This has happened now 3 or four times, every couple of weeks: File server stops responding. I try to check through admin web tool, but web server does time out or just shows the login page after a long waiting period. Does never respond any further. Basically this would force me to do a hardware power cycle. OK, I can still ssh into the system, so I could restart from command line. But I would rather have some advice where to look into the logs to find out the cause and fix it or have it fixed. I am using mostly AFP file service (Mac clients), some SMB/CIFS. And TimeMachine (which also stopped responding). Web server only for administration access.

My linux days are long gone. I tried with /var/log/messages but that one is empty. Some files (conn.log, event.log) in /etc/logs are none-text files, so not very helpful.

Every hint is welcome!

Thanks

Peter

After reboot the logs reveal a huge number (5500+) of entries like the following:

2011-01-0805:17:03System127.0.0.1localhost[Network Service Discovery] Gateway failed. UPnP Discovery Service stopped.

I was not aware I use UPnP, need to check whether I can deactivate. Anyway,  the page with the first of those messages does not display in the System Logs. Very frustrating! I consider this a bug. I can skip over the page in the logs display, change the number of entries displayed per page, but I never get to the first of the above entries to see what might  have happened right before.

Everyone's tags (6)
13 REPLIES 13
Rising star

Re: NSS322 file and web server stop responding

Hi Peter,

I noticed that no one has responded to your posting  in a day, so if there is a issue, known or unknown, let the folks at SBSC either resolve the issue or escalate it for resolution.

I think you might just be better off just opening a case with the SBSC  via the following URL;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

This URL will provide you with contact phone numbers for the Small Business Support Center. 

regards Dave

Beginner

David,

Thanks for the hint. I guess that usually a support contract would be required for opening a case - which I don't have. I will check what a Cisco employee will get out of it, as soon as I have time to call one of the numbers listed at the link you provided and try to open a case.

Thanks

Peter

Rising star

Hi Peter,

The warranty, as stated on the datasheet, for the NSS product is ;

This Cisco Small Business product comes with a five-year limited hardware warranty with return-to-factory replacement. In addition, Cisco offers software updates for bug fixes, telephone technical support, and online chat support at no charge for the first 12 months following the date of purchase.

So make the phone call to the Small Business Support Center

regards Dave

Beginner

I am getting the same problem.  [Network Service Discovery] Gateway failed. UPnP Discovery Service stopped.  Then cannot access NAS.  The network discovery tool doesnt work either.

Ive read somewhere that this may be due to Ext4.  I am going to unselect that and see if that helps.

But I would still like some help

Regards

Kriss

Rising star

Hi Kriss,

Thank you for posting. Try disabling UPnP if you don't need it:

If you want UPnP enabled and continue to have issues, please call Small Business Support and open a case. You can find a number at the following link:

www.cisco.com/go/sbsc

Beginner

Thanks mpyhala

Since I have unselected Ext4 I have not had the problem.....cant find the page where it suggested doing this so I dont know the reasoning behind it.  But I havent got the time at the moment to delve any deeper.

Perhaps you could help me with the available support contact for Cisco.  The online Chat support web page is not working.  It was ok about a week ago but now....nothing

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/small-business/sbproductwarranty

Is this a problem? and how long will it be down.

Also apart from online chat support and phone there appears to be NO WAY of contacting support by e-mail. Am I missing something. It's like an easter egg hunt trying to find contact information.

Do you know the e-mail address for support for NSS 322 smart storage

Many thanks

Kriss

Cisco Employee

Hi Kriss -- Best way to contact the Small Business Support Center is via phone. See www.cisco.com/go/sbsc for a list of international contact numbers. The US Support Center is available 24/7.

While email support is not offered, Support Engineers regularly monitor this Support Community. Feel free to report issues and questions here, similar to email.

I tested Online Chat Support this moring and connected to an engineer without issue. Thanks for letting us know about it. Chat Support is only available during local business hours -- is it possible you attempted after hours? (Even so, you should have received an explanatory error message.)

Thanks for choosing Cisco Small Business and participating in the Community. Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Stephanie Reaves

Cisco Small Business

Beginner

Dear Stephanie

I did try during office hours, several times.  The service was functioning about a week ago and I was able to chat to a couple of support staff on at least two occaisions and they were very helpful, however, the page now only lets me select the country, the next drop down box is empty. (previously that contained the language and when I chose English it would open the webEx facility).

I am trying to resolve another issue which was discovered by one of your support staff and I was given an incident No.  The issue prevents access to the NSS using SSL. However, nothing has happened since and no one has been in touch or let me know what is going on.  I appreciate that the community web pages are monitored regularly and I am grateful for your reply but you must appreciate that if I had known that my 12 month product warranty involved a community web page then I may have had second thoughts about purchasing from Cisco!

Kind Regards

Kriss

Cisco Employee

Hi Kriss -- Escalating your Online Chat issue up the proper chain. We did recently (last weekend) upgrade and this might have had an effect. What browser are you using?

Mail me your incident number (you have my email address) or post it here and we'll ensure fast attention. Sincere apologies that it hasn't already. Appreciate the chance to make it right.

Thanks,

Stephanie Reaves

Cisco Small Business

Beginner

Hi Stephanie

Thanks for replying so promptly. I am using IE9.  I have tried clearing the SSL state but that didnt help. I can send you a screen shot if that would help.

The issue I was having with SSL was to do with certificates.  Maybe that is also affecting the chat intro page. (I note that is SSL too)

The final message I got was as follows

"from Kiril Veselinov to All Participants:So here is your case number 617966721"

Thanks again

Kriss

Cisco Employee

Thank YOU, Kriss, for the prompt replies. I've notified Small Business Support Center of your case number and lack of response. It might be Monday .....

IE9. Yeah. Not sure it's supported with Online Chat. (Might be -- I just don't know. Not my area of expertise.) Is there another browser you can try? Worked on Firefox 4.0 this morning.

Thanks,

Stephanie

Beginner

Dear Stephanie

Just tried it using IE8 on another machine........same thing

Cheers

Kriss

Rising star

Hi Kriss and Stephane,

My apologies it looks like we are having issues with IE after the upgrade and we are working to resolve the issue.  Currently online chat works with Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.

Best regards,

Cindy Toy

Cisco Small Business

Community Manager

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!