cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

100% CPU usage. RV180W Firmware Version 1.0.2.6

bartlingja
Level 1
Level 1

Since I updated to Firmware Version 1.0.2.6 cpu usage shows 100% with no sing of lowering.

So since 2 days now its always runngin at full speeds for no reason.

Firmware Update, Factory Reset, Setup as before. => 100% CPU

ciscorv180w100percent.png

Is this a common problem? Is there any fix for that? Or at least a way to get informations what causes this?

Kind reagards

bartlingja

17 Replies 17

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Jan, thank you for using our forum, my name is Johnnatan I am part of the Small business Support community. I apologize for this inconvenience, I was thinking then the firmware update is successfully updated the router changed few settings and that could cause the overload.

1. There is something you need to take on mind, if you are using multiples VPN, you are running IPS, you have a high level encryption security level, multiple ACL, I advise you to disable the protocols that you are not using.

2. You could check the MTU size (1500 recommended but it depends).

3. You could perform a factory reset and reconfigure just the necessary features.

I hope you find this answer useful

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it”

Greetings, 
Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.
Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

After Factory Reset and after disabling all vpn + passthrough and no internet connection:

same problem. After I reflashed the firmware with factory default settings the same problem plus, setting up the wan connection took me 60 minutes!!! +5 router reboots and still cpu usage is 100%

simple no vpn just wlan / dsl setup, mtu is default to 1492. nothing fancy. old firmware dropped my dsl connection for no reason without a chance of reenabling. new firmware looks like it wants to kill my cpu.. for no reason.

According to your 1. point. nothing matches my configuration. no vpn acl ips.

hope you have another idea. or a fixed firmware.

Kind regards

Jan Bartling

This issue still exist with latest firmware 4 years later.

Had the same issue (RV180 FW: 1.0.5.4), fix it by disabling the "WAN Traffic Meter".

Hope that helps.

aprencipe
Level 1
Level 1

let me add my situation as well that seems to be the same.

I've also  disabled DHCP server, but nothing change

Hi, we can try something, please download the firmware thru this link, and install it again, then configure just the necessary configuration. If the issue continues, could you please reach out to our Small Business Support Center and open a Service Request to address this issue? One of our Engineers may be able to work with you and diagnose the root cause. You can find the appropriate contact information for SBSC in the below link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

I hope you find this answer useful

Greetings, 

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Just to be clear. You want me to donwload firmware wich is not made for my W-version router?

You want me to download and flash the NON-wireless router firmware to my W-Model?

Hi Jan

My mistake, this is the correct link:http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284005928&softwareid=282487380&release=1.0.1.9

Greetings, 

I had this before.... CPU problem was not present but my WAN-Connection died without a chance of reanimation as I did write in my previous post.

old firmware dropped my dsl connection for no reason without a chance of reenabling.

I can tell you I can use this firmware without the problem but instead with no WAN-Connection. No advantage. Sorry but no internet is not an option I'll bug the SBSC on that. Thank you anyway

Kind regards

Jan Bartling

Just for those with the same problem. SBSC told me this is just a webinterface bug. CPU is not on 100% as shown in the UI... seriously? How will I know whats going on there... "New firmware .... in 2 months..." great...!

Hi jan

Thanks for let us know about this issue, this will be useful for future users.

Greetings, 

englewoodtech
Level 1
Level 1

I can confirm the same symptom exists (cpu shows 100%) on my rv180w after upgrading to 1.0.2.6 ... but seems to be working fine, other than the nat loopback issue which still wasn't fixed in the latest firmware update.

I too have this issue. From it the web interface is insanely slow as well.

Is a downgrade possible to repair?

Hi Jan, my name is Luis I am part of the Small business Support community.

I was researching about this issue, some many cases got resolved using the previous firmware, so in this case you could use it to try if the performance gets better. Bellow you will see a link to download it.

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284005928&softwareid=282487380&release=1.0.1.9

My apologies for your inconvenience, I hope you find this answer useful

Greetings,

Luis Arias.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: