cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4G Modem Compatibility for RV215W

ironlineadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Just hoping someone can tell me which 4G USB modems are/aren't compatible with the Cisco RV215W? I am told by a customer that an MF823 modem (Telstra) is not working and is not compatible.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, there are some options/sources where to find updated list supported modems:

• Other Support Forums discussion articles like I post before
  • Release Notes which usually contains lists of newly added (thus compatible) USB modems, like here for latest firmware version of RV215W router ("Issue resolved: AC320u, Sierra 313u, and Huawei E173 dongles do not work with the device. ").
  • Another option is to open "Small Business Routers" section of this forum, type your router model (i.e. "RV215W) into right top corner search field and keep selected "Small Business Routers" option which appears while you type and hit enter. In new page click on "Documents" tab to see all related documents for your model and here you will see documents including modem compatibility lists. This is most usual way how Cisco shares their customized documents with community additional information about their products. And here you will find this latest list of supported modems (from October 2014) for your router model.
  • Or go directly to Cisco Knowledge Base page, from list of products select "Routers", and from router list your model and include some keyword like "usb", you will find same document here.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Michal Bruncko
Level 4
Level 4

Hello

please have a look here on RV215W compatible 3G/4G modems. Yes, you're right, your MF823 is not on that list.

Thanks Michal, I appreciate your reference to that compatibility list - most helpful.

I do note that the list is 2 years old now, so any modems released to market in the last two years would not be on the list - whether they work or not. I believe the MF823 falls in this category, so I am still not entirely sure if the MF823 'should' work with the RV215W.

Do you know if there is a more recent updated list? How else could I find out if modern modems are compatible?

Cheers,

Yes, there are some options/sources where to find updated list supported modems:

• Other Support Forums discussion articles like I post before
  • Release Notes which usually contains lists of newly added (thus compatible) USB modems, like here for latest firmware version of RV215W router ("Issue resolved: AC320u, Sierra 313u, and Huawei E173 dongles do not work with the device. ").
  • Another option is to open "Small Business Routers" section of this forum, type your router model (i.e. "RV215W) into right top corner search field and keep selected "Small Business Routers" option which appears while you type and hit enter. In new page click on "Documents" tab to see all related documents for your model and here you will see documents including modem compatibility lists. This is most usual way how Cisco shares their customized documents with community additional information about their products. And here you will find this latest list of supported modems (from October 2014) for your router model.
  • Or go directly to Cisco Knowledge Base page, from list of products select "Routers", and from router list your model and include some keyword like "usb", you will find same document here.

One more important note about USB dongles for Cisco RV routers:

Question: My 3G/4G USB Dongle is not in the supported list. What should I do?
Answer: If there is an alternate 3G/4G USB dongle on the list that is supported by the ISP, you may use the alternate dongle. If there is no alternate 3G/4G USB dongle you can use, send an email to dongle_support@cisco.com. Resource permitting, Cisco will try to support the dongle in future firmware releases.

So this is very good way how to ask for including new (not currently supported) USB modem without having to open service request or without having valid warranty for your product.

Thanks Michal, your comprehensive information is most helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: