cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

881 Router no activity Lights are amber or green

piclement
Level 1
Level 1

My client called this morning. There was no Internet anymore. The router was installed back in 2015 and everything was working fine until sometime between midnight last night and 7:30am this morning when my client opened is business again.

When I connected with the ISP modem, everything was working fine and the 24 ports switch is working fine. Anyway, when I put in a temporary router, everything was working again, So, I know that the problem comes from the Cisco 881 Router.

I turned it off, I've pressed reset and on/off, pressed reset for 30 seconds and on/off and it always stays the same. When I look at the front LEDs, I see that the WAN LED is off (which is normal since there is no cable connected to it). All the other LED are on and solid (no blinking). The following LEDs are all solid green : OK, PPP, VPN and FE0 to FE3.  The flollowing lights are all solid amber : PPOE 0 and 1. Please note that, right now, there are no cables connected to it (except power) but it was acting the same when there were ethernet cables connected to them (WAN, FE0, FE2 and FE3). FE1 was not used.

Any suggestions ? I believe that the router is broken and that I need to replace it. I just would like to confirm that before proceeding.

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Connect the console cable to laptop and see what is the errors and where it got stuck ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for any help ! It's very much appreciated. I've tried to use the console but it doesn't seem to work. I connected with Cisco Configuration Professional has if I was configuring a new device but it says that's it's unable to communicate with it even when I give it the proper user/password access.

I can tell you also that I tried with HyperTerminal and Putty since I'm working on a Windows XP PC since it's the only one left that has a COM port !!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Connect a console and reboot. We want to see what the router is doing.
Next, post the complete output to the command "dir". We want to see if the router crashed or not.
Finally, post the complete output to the command "sh version" because we want to know what firmware is the router running on.

Can you explain how to connect a console other than what i already tried ? Because, if it's not something else, like I said I'm unable to connect to it. For the firware version, I can tell you that it's version 15.3.
Here are the configuration for the console :
line con 0
login local
no modem enable
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
access-class 23 in
privilege level 15
login local
transport input telnet
line vty 5 15
access-class 23 in
privilege level 15
login local
transport input telnet

@piclement wrote:
For the firware version, I can tell you that it's version 15.3.

Nope.  This is not helpful.  

Please post the complete output to the command "sh version". 

Next, so if you have a console cable connected to the router, what happens when you reboot the router?  Do you see the console terminal with inputs from the router?  Well, we want to see them all.

Than tell me how to connect to the router please !

@piclement wrote:
Than tell me how to connect to the router please !

Is the router in front of you?

Yes. And like I said, it connected to an XP machine with the blue cable (com1 on PC to console port on router).

I've rebooted the router with the Putty console connected to it but nothing ...
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: