cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access CLI on RV160W?

EZiegler
Level 1
Level 1

I achieved my CCNA recently and I bought one of these routers because it ticked all the boxes I wanted for a home router that wasn't insanely expensive. 

I'm trying to connect to it via the console port with a usb-serial cable but nothing comes up. I know I have the correct COM port selected, and I'm using the default settings I always used for the other older Cisco gear in my house:

Serial: COM4 (Confirmed from Device Manager)

Speed : 9600

Data bits - 8

Stop bits - 1

Parity - None

Flow control - XON/XOFF

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jo Kern
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, unfortunately the serial interface is not active on these devices.

You can configure the devices using a Webinterface ( GUI ).

The serial port is switched off and can only be activated by Cisco TAC and the user for example during troubleshooting. A special software build would be required to allow this.

Also the device is not based on Cisco IOS and the IOS commands would not work.

Best

Jo

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

you should be able to see on console  ( try flow control none) - close terminal open again ( some time try different baud rates) - is this new device?

console settings :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/dial-access/asynchronous-connections/9321-terminal-settings.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

When I try those settings I get a bunch of garbled data. If I set the speed to 115200 thought it do actually see it booting up and then it stops at this line:

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

EZiegler
Level 1
Level 1

When I speed to 115200 I actually do see it booting up, but it stops at this part:

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

if this new device it takes 10-15min to boot and setup, check GUI for quick setup guide.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/RV160/Quick_Start_Guide/EN/RV160_qsg_en.pdf

BB

That doesn't make any sense. What is the point of putting a console port on a Cisco router if you have to set it up through a GUI first? I would like to configure this router through the CLI.

What I meant to mention was, since you said it was stuck for long, check the GUI access is accessible.

is this new Device?

BB

Yup this is a new device that I purchased off of Amazon. I can't disconnect my current router right now but i'll try to do the initial config through the GUI and then see if I can access the CLI afterward.

I did the initial setup through the web config and It looks like this console port was installed just for show. I can't get into the CLI from a terminal emulator no matter what settings I try. The only way I have been able to get anything to show up is by changing the bit rate to 115200 and I can watch it boot up, but getting to a command line seems to not be possible

Jo Kern
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, unfortunately the serial interface is not active on these devices.

You can configure the devices using a Webinterface ( GUI ).

The serial port is switched off and can only be activated by Cisco TAC and the user for example during troubleshooting. A special software build would be required to allow this.

Also the device is not based on Cisco IOS and the IOS commands would not work.

Best

Jo

Thanks for the Reply Jo! What kind of router would to recommend for home use that I could configure though the CLI? Preferably with wireless.

Hi Jo, the fact that the console is NOT available needs to be mentioned in the documentation NEAR THE TOP. There's lots of old school engineers that go straight to the console for config. I too, have wasted ages trying to confire this damned router

Thanks

FindIT software discovery cannot work. My  RV160W Router and 2 SF300 24 Switches cannot show Router discovery but switch are showing. i was uninstall this FindIT and re-install again but same result. It works wonderful but todays error may be.

please anywho help me here.

Thank you very much.

Foysal
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: