cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Accessing the CLI on a RV340W via PuTTy

itsmerowe
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know the correct settings to access the console on a RV340W via the serial/console cable via PuTTy? I have tried about every combination of settings I have found on the internet and I cannot connect to it.

I CAN see the boot up info when I connect and then power on the router, but once it is powered on, I cannot get a response.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

on a RV345 you go to Admin > Config management >  Source Filename & Destination Filename.  Change them via the drop down selection and to download select download to PC in the destination box.

The file is exported as an xml file which means you can edit the xml and upload with the changes you want.  You should be able to keep one as a template and modify this xml file for every new client including static dhcp clients.  It's pretty lengthy and appears to have every page of cofigs which obviously would make sense. 

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

itsmerowe
Level 1
Level 1

Just to let you know what I have tried:

Windows 7 and XP using puTTy and Hyperterminal with these combination of settings:

Baud Rates: 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, and 115200

Data bits: 8

Stop bits: 1 and 2

Flow control: None, XOFF,XON, Hardware

Parity: none

On both systems, when I set the baud rate to 115200 and connect and reboot the router, I can see it booting up, but once it starts loading the kernel, nothing else happens. So this tells me the 115200 baud is correct (since all others give me garbled characters when booting the router.)

None of the documents for this router offer any advice on settings, and Cisco won't talk to me without a contract.

ktonev
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The console port on the RV340/345 routers is intended for future use and is currently not operational so you will not be able to console in/ssh to the device. Please use the GUI for all configuration needs.

Thank you,
Kris

If you found this post useful please rate it so other users can benefit as well.

Holy cow - really? Is there any way to print out a config? I am trying to solve an issue with it blocking my static route.

Yes, unfortunately the RV series routers are very limited in terms of CLI configuration capabilities. If you wish to use a router with better CLI capability I can suggest to look at the ISR series.

As for your other question, you can pull logs/config files from the GUI.

Limited is one way to put it. I would call it useless since it can't be used. :)

It's too late to return this router now, and for 12 employees, the ISR series won't fly.

So...how do I pull the config from the GUI? I was asked to post it trying to figure out why this router stops file sharing across subnets with a static route. I have been all through this GUI for the last month.

on a RV345 you go to Admin > Config management >  Source Filename & Destination Filename.  Change them via the drop down selection and to download select download to PC in the destination box.

The file is exported as an xml file which means you can edit the xml and upload with the changes you want.  You should be able to keep one as a template and modify this xml file for every new client including static dhcp clients.  It's pretty lengthy and appears to have every page of cofigs which obviously would make sense. 

How sad, I was deciding between the RV325 against the RV345, but decided to get newer model to see what was new... sad that there is no CLI support,  at first I was all exited I was going to use the Console port, and then .. sadness... anyways, I guess I will take a look at the xml ...

but in my case i can see the login prompt but its not accepting my user and password what i have been using through the web interface

tengo el mismo problema, puedo ver el prompt pero no me reconoce mi user y pass

Hi there,

My name is Nikola and I'm a Cisco Small Business Devices Team member.

The console port on the RV34x routers is intended for future use and is currently not operational so you will not be able to console in/ssh to the device. Please use the GUI for all configuration needs. 

Regards,

Gracias por la respuesta.
No puedo acceder por GUI, ingreso usuario y password y no ingresa.

Do you know just how jacked up that is?!? Especially after Cisco managed to "fix" the firmware so the you can't log in from a browser after one of the upgrades.

So no console port to upload a new image, can't get to the GUI, and I would prefer not to erase the various changes I've made over time. But it appears I have no choice but to factory reset it and HOPE that the current version of buggy firmware will grant me access to the GUI. Or will I be stuck with a brick and a network with no router?

It's sometimes unbelievable that Cisco manages to remain in business when they make idiotic decisions like this.

I completely agree with you.  My husband and I are both in IT, and we have struggled trying to get this router to work for days because of this bug with the firmware.  Last night, I wanted to throw it at the wall I was so mad.  At this moment, I feel so angry at Cisco for their lack of quality control.

Insult to injury, they even include a nice cable to attach to THE CONSOLE PORT THAT DOES NOT WORK!!!!