cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding Umbrella to a Cisco RV345

parkernathan
Level 1
Level 1

We're moving from a Cambium Networks router to a Cisco RV345 around March. I will be setting the DNS servers on the RV345 to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 to take advantage of Umbrella/OpenDNS.

I signed up for a free Consumer account on OpenDNS.com (since I couldn't find out where to signup for a Small Business account, all I saw was Consumer and Enterprise), and I was going to signup for OpenDNS VIP Home to have access to the additional features.

However, after talking with Martin on the Cisco Small Business team, he mentioned an Umbrella license for RV routers: UMB-BRAN-RV.

Here are my questions:

1. Would UMB-BRAN-RV be the license I would need to add to my Cisco RV345, and if I purchase UMB-BRAN-RV, would this be a substitute for purchasing OpenDNS VIP Home?

2. Would I need to have OpenDNS Support change my OpenDNS account from a Home account to a Business Umbrella account, or would I need to have them simply close out my OpenDNS Home account and open a new Business Umbrella account?

3. I have the OpenDNS Diagnostic and OpenDNS Updater running on one of my machines (although we're on a Static IP, so the updater isn't doing me much good). Do I need to go ahead and toss those if I'm on an Umbrella business account?

4. While I'm awaiting the router transition, I've changed the DNS at the device level for some of my network devices to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 to give them more reliable DNS until we move to the Cisco RV345 and apply the DNS change at the router level. When we apply the DNS change at the router level, will I need to go back to those devices and remove the DNS changes at the device level, or since the DNS servers will be the same at the device and router level, will everything just sync together?

Thanks!

Nathan Parker
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

parkernathan
Level 1
Level 1

I figured out the answers to these. I am replying here with the answers in case someone needs to know them:

1. UMB-BRAN-RV is the license I need instead of OpenDNS VIP Home.

2. OpenDNS Support had me remove my OpenDNS Consumer account so I can setup a new Cisco Umbrella account.

3. I will need to toss those apps.

4. I can keep the settings at the device level, although I'll likely remove them since moving them to the router level will improve overall network performance with DNS caching.

Nathan Parker

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

parkernathan
Level 1
Level 1

I figured out the answers to these. I am replying here with the answers in case someone needs to know them:

1. UMB-BRAN-RV is the license I need instead of OpenDNS VIP Home.

2. OpenDNS Support had me remove my OpenDNS Consumer account so I can setup a new Cisco Umbrella account.

3. I will need to toss those apps.

4. I can keep the settings at the device level, although I'll likely remove them since moving them to the router level will improve overall network performance with DNS caching.

Nathan Parker

mmoerman
Level 1
Level 1

In order to get the UMB-BRAN-RV license, did you go through CISCO or through a reseller?

Hi, 

You should go through Cisco reseller/partner to purchase the license. We do not sell directly to end customers but only through distribution. Here is an introduction, feature comparison and setup guide: https://community.cisco.com/t5/small-business-technical/cisco-rv340-series-and-cisco-umbrella-introduction-and-feature/ta-p/3813780

Regards,

Martin

I'm working on getting it ordered through Provantage (my Cisco Partner), and the price has been reasonable to add Umbrella to my RV345. As soon as my order goes through, I'll get it connected.

Nathan Parker