Views
Helpful
Replies

Advice Needed on Optimal Home/Small Business Routing Device

trainerbrian85
Level 1
Level 1
Hello,
I have been working in mainly in System Security for a few years now but was approached by my Dad to help with a home office project that he is looking to complete.  Currently he runs a Web Server from his home office that is connected to one of the ports on an old Linksys router.  He also runs all of the home devices (Smart TVs, laptops, phones, etc.) through another port on that same router.  The goal of the project is to separate these two networks (Home/Office) for both bandwidth and security purposes.  He had attempted to contact his ISP about getting a second connection installed but I guess their policy only allows one connection to be installed in a single home.
My initial idea was to implement sub-interfaces on the external port that goes to the ISP but the current Linksys router is so old and only accessible via HTTP/HTTPS so it is not capable of supporting sub-interfaces or VLANS.  I was hoping for some advice on different options on home/small business routers that support sub-interfaces and that would achieve the objective of this project.  I would prefer something that uses Cisco IOS and that can be managed from a command line but am open to all options.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

7367wells
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Connect a layer 3 Cisco Switch to the router. You can create VLANs on the switch, create all the SVIs on the switch, then route out of the switch to the router. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/small-business-300-series-managed-switches/index.html 

I am not employed by CISCO, but hope this helps.

Have a good Christmas.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

7367wells
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Connect a layer 3 Cisco Switch to the router. You can create VLANs on the switch, create all the SVIs on the switch, then route out of the switch to the router. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/small-business-300-series-managed-switches/index.html 

I am not employed by CISCO, but hope this helps.

Have a good Christmas.

Sounds like exactly what I need!  I have found and ordered one as a result of your suggestion.  Thank you very much for your help, hope you have a great Christmas as well!

No problem. You can also create ACLs on that switch that can will provide an extra layer of security too. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: