cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Are units in Dual WAN setup and Bandwidth Management kilobits per second or kilobytes per second?

sudoISS
Level 1
Level 1

All we get is "kb/s" which I assume means kilobytes per second, but there's no clarification anywhere (I checked the manual) as to what that unit is, and it seems like it might not mean kilobytes per second. In any case, there's a big difference between those units that can mean a lot of difference for the end-user experience, so some clarification would be nice here.

1 Reply 1

sudoISS
Level 1
Level 1

Point of note: While dealing with a dual WAN facility that has pretty mediocre speeds on both WANs (3mbps down, .51mbps up on both), I had originally assumed kb/s meant "kilobytes per second", so I set the speeds on each wan to 375 kb/s down and 63 kb/s up (375 kilobytes per second corresponds to 3 megabits per second, while 63 kilobytes per second is equal to .504 megabits per second).

This was incorrect, and made phones and the computer barely usable, and made it prohibitively difficult to access and manage the router remotely.

Once I changed the WAN speeds to 3000 kb/s down and 510 kb/s up (to correspond with the ISP's stated speeds in kilobits per second)... everything changed and was made considerably more bearable. I guess, according to Wikipedia, Cisco is using the correct, standard symbol for kilobits per second (which is kb/s or kbit/s) - but I've found "bps" is in considerably more common usage, so it'd be nice if that was at least clarified somewhere, like the manual.