cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 Performace Help

RangerZ
Level 1
Level 1

This is my first community post so please help me if this is not directed correctly.

I am the technology manager for a small company, but not a network person. We have a ASA5505 that was setup about 2 years ago by the vendor who manages our servers. We have about a dozen users any of which can run remotely, but there are rarely more than 4 connecting over VPN at any time.

Our service is Verizon 150/150. All the clients are HP Elitebook 840 G1 & G2. The LAN card is an Intel 1218-LM and the wireless cards are Intel Dual Band N-7260, AC-7260 and AC-7265s.

I have one client in particular who is always remote and even with Comcast 175\15 service can not get wireless performance of better than 2\2 (measured with Totusoft's LAN Speed Test https://totusoft.com/lanspeed). This is with no more than 2 users connecting over VPN.

I am getting similar results today over wireless, but getting better performance over Ethernet (20\8 on my 50\10 service).

Based on the above info, can someone suggest a benchmark for this environment. I am pretty sure we can be happy with something in the 10-15 range (limited by clients service of course).

I am of the opinion that there may be some configuration of the client network cards that may improve performance (Packet size, etc).

Clients are all WIN 7 and servers R2008 R2. We run MS RDP and a client server business app.

VPN Client: Cisco Anyconnect 3.1.07021
Device firmware: ?? => pretty sure its not been upgraded since the install.

Any help would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are many tests need to be conducted end to end

User Side :

1. Start from Laptop Ethernet interface

2. Switch connection.

Office Side :

Firewall --Switch--Server

check the device and see they are 100/1000 full duplex.

If all ok then go to VPN configuration.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

As I said, I am not a network person, so more explicit information would be helpful.

I have looked at the N7260 properties and there is no Duplex setting.

What setting are relevant on the client side router?

I assume the client file has some config associated with it, but assume that needs to be tweaked and generated from the server end.  No clue where to start.

I also would assume that I want to make sure all the latest firmware is installed.

So if you are not sure about the client wireless side.  Try connecting the clients using copper wire at their homes.  Is there a speed difference?  You need to eliminate all the pieces back to your server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: