cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bad performance with ProtectLink Web

compipark
Level 1
Level 1

It took me some time to get the load balancing (RV042 V3, v4.0.4.02-tm) working (my provider ist not returning any packets by the gateway ip on a ping). No I am ruinning into a performance issue. After activating PrtotectLink it takes a few hours or one or two days and the RV042 is reacting very slow. I need to reboot the RV042 and everything is ok again for some time ....

Deactivating ProtectLink does not help only rebooting speeds the system up again.

ProtectLink ist useless this way, anything I can do to get ProtectLink working?

Regards

Walter

5 Replies 5

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Walter,

Thank you for posting. Since you are using Load Balancing are you using Protocol Binding as well? What type of internet connections do you have and what speed are they? Sometimes Load Balancing causes more trouble than it is worth and Smartlink Backup is a better idea for stability and failover.

Hi mpyhala,

I am using load balancing without Protocol Binding. I have two PPOE/ADSL connections with 3 and 7 Mbit/s (downstream). I bought this router to use the load balancing. Not using this feature makes the RV042 running more reliable and ProtectLink is running better to.

Walter,

I would try using Smartlink Backup with the 7 Mbit/s on WAN1 (Primary) and the 3 Mbit/s connection for failover if possible. Load Balancing works best when you have two connections with the same bandwidth. (Usually very low bandwidth, less than 1.5 Mbit/s) This will not necessarily provide better speed but simply widens the pipe allowing more traffic to pass simultaneously.

It is always a good idea to bind certain protocols to WAN1 or WAN2 to avoid problems created by Load Balancing. Most problems we see are with https sites dropping the connection because the WAN IP changes and also with RDP not connecting or disconnecting for the same reason.

Do you have a need to Load Balance to pass more traffic or are you trying to create a failover connection?

Hi mpyhala,

I wanted the load balancing but I could live with 7 Mbit and fail over.

Thats running perfect as long as I do not use ProtectLink. When the router is running with one WAN the  ProtectLink queue is very often complaining 80% full and the router is getting slower and slower. Is it running out of memory for URLs, bad garbage collection?

Is it possible to telnet into the RV042 and look at the processes?

Walter,

It sure sounds like the router is working hard. ProtectLink will put some strain on the processor if there is a large amount of traffic queued. Have you tried changing the setting in ProtectLink to allow all traffic if the queue becomes full? How many users are connected to the router?

I found some references to telnet with the old RV042 hardware versions. I don't think it works with the version 3 devices.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: