Views
Helpful
Replies

Best router for 300-500 users

michaeleckley
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

We have recently installed a new router for a frat.  We were under the impression they would not need more than 200 DHCP leases.  We originally purchased a RV042G.  This was working okay for the first 24 hours. Turns out each user is connecting a phone, tablet, pc, xbox, etc etc. Then their girlfriends are coming and connecting as well. haha  

I have read that the RV042G will be unable to expand to fit more users.  I am inquiring to see which device we should plan to use for this situation?  Or if there is some way to allow more DHCP leases that I have been unable to find online.  

We were considering an RV320 or RV325 but I wanted to check with the community to get your feedback first. 

Thank you for any help!

2 Replies 2

aleccham
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you need more DHCP IPs than the available 253,provided by the DHCP, then you will need to look into configuring a NAT in your environment.

A NAT (Network Address Translation), as quoted from Google, "is a way to map an entire network (or networks) to a single IP address. NAT is necessary when the number of IP addresses assigned to you by your Internet Service Provider is less than the total number of computers that you wish to provide Internet access for." 

Michiel Beenen
Level 3
Level 3

A RV320/325 should be working just fine upto 300 users, from what I can tell :)
Anything above that I would switch to Cisco Enterprise products (Catalyst/Integrated Services Routers).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: