cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way to setup a VLAN for ip cameras

Powerwav
Level 1
Level 1

What would be the best way to setup a VLAN for IP Cameras so I can still remote into them and make changes?

ie.. vlan1    network computers or ip cameras

vlan2     ip cameras or network computers

I"m new to this so if someone can point me in the right direction, I just setup the vlan to test and it works, but once this setup goes 1600 miles away, I want to avoid a mess up where I would have to go back to the site with the router.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

@Powerwav wrote:

When I plugged my pc lan into vlan200 port 2 it was fast.

That's what I said:  Some don't like VLANs.  

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Can't answer that question without know what the IP cameras can/can't do.
Some cheap-and-nasty IP cameras don't like VLANs (or will only talk on VLAN 1).
My recommendation is to put the IP cameras in their own VLANs and put FW rules &/or ACL in place to stop anything stupid from getting out of the IP cameras subnet.

The cameras are decent Dahua, With analytics plus, I will run them on a second POE switch to access the individual cameras GUI to perform firmware upgrades remotely.
When I was testing I had the cameras on the vlan 2 with inter vlan routing Enabled.I was able to get into the GUI But it was very slow. I probably will not use inter vlan routing, wouldn’t that defeat the purpose of a VLAN?

@Powerwav wrote:
I was able to get into the GUI But it was very slow. I probably will not use inter vlan routing, wouldn’t that defeat the purpose of a VLAN?

If you put your PC into the same VLAN as the cameras, is the performance better?

Yes, When I was testing, VLAN1 on port1&port2  for pc; then I made VLAN200 on port 3&4 for NVR.

Also is VLAN1 the default? I was reading that it might not be good to use it, not really sure.

I still like to learn this stuff, but in reality for this setup it would be used to mainly just to remote into the router to access the NVR and cams, and there will most likely be only 1 hard wired computer and a wireless AP. So is it just better to stay on VLAN1 for remote access to router and cams, I dont need access to the computer. 

I would still like to know, a possible better way if there is one, ie.. access to the whole network from VPN.

Thanks...

Also screenshot attached:

vlan.pngDoes this mean that VLAN1 and VLAN300 can talk to each other but not VLAN200?

Another ?

VLAN2.png

Lets say I want to run 4 Vlans, how do I setup the tags, I got it to work with vlan1 port 1&2 vlan200 port 3&4, but when I add more it get hard the tags keep switching around.

@Powerwav wrote:

That's what I said:  Some don't like VLANs.  

I guess they dont, can U help me with my last ? above. Not sure how to work all the tags.

Untagged.

untagged.pngl

Like this?