cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cable modem link slowness w ISA570 and CLI "show tech" equivalent

CapnSunshine
Level 1
Level 1
Hi, I'm helping out a non profit that has a Mediacom 100mbs link, they get 90+ Speed connected directly to the cable modem, but anywhere past the ISA570 they only get 50-60mbs. They have switched cables, added a separate port, tried different PCs, results are the same, 50-60 mbs max. Also it's their understanding the ISA570 can't do CLI, so how can they get the equivalent of a 'show tech' command to a file to send offsite for troubleshooting, Thanks. Jim
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

There is something similar to show tech on the ISA.

Log into the web GUI, go to Device Management >> Cisco Services & Support >> Send Diagnostics.  At the bottom of that page is a Download button that will collect the config file, the logs, and some debug outputs into a zip file.  You can use this to troubleshoot the device, although I usually prefer to be on the live device itself to look at things.

Before you dig too deep into those however, what kind of security services do you currently have enabled on the ISA?   I was looking over the datasheet and while the SPI is capable of ~500mbps, when you start to enable the various security services those speeds start to drop.

If we look at the UTM (Unified Threat Management) throughput measures, that is at about 75mbps, which is fairly close to what you are getting.  I would go through and disable the various security services one at a time and test your speed.  My guess would be either A/V or IPS is slowing your connection down.  It may be one or a combination of these services causing the slowdown.  You can disable those options, or just explain that the extra security will cost a bit of speed.

Hope that helps a bit,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

There is something similar to show tech on the ISA.

Log into the web GUI, go to Device Management >> Cisco Services & Support >> Send Diagnostics.  At the bottom of that page is a Download button that will collect the config file, the logs, and some debug outputs into a zip file.  You can use this to troubleshoot the device, although I usually prefer to be on the live device itself to look at things.

Before you dig too deep into those however, what kind of security services do you currently have enabled on the ISA?   I was looking over the datasheet and while the SPI is capable of ~500mbps, when you start to enable the various security services those speeds start to drop.

If we look at the UTM (Unified Threat Management) throughput measures, that is at about 75mbps, which is fairly close to what you are getting.  I would go through and disable the various security services one at a time and test your speed.  My guess would be either A/V or IPS is slowing your connection down.  It may be one or a combination of these services causing the slowdown.  You can disable those options, or just explain that the extra security will cost a bit of speed.

Hope that helps a bit,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*