cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can CCNA configure DSL/PPPoE connection in router?

agkhan-au
Level 1
Level 1

Please let me know Can CCNA configure DSL/PPPoE connection in router?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michal Bruncko
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

CCNA certification content/chapters/exam are changing over years almost on regular basis. What was a part of CCNA few years ago, could be already excluded. This applies to DSL technology. Some years before, it was a part of CCNA (CCNA4 training curricula as WAN related topic), but it is not a part of CCNA anymore.

In summary CCNA certified person is not ready for configuring PPPoE for DSL as this is not a part of existing CCNA preparation reading. But I hope that someone who applied CCNA exam could be so smart, find corresponding documentation/howtos on internet and be prepared for DSL and PPPoE configuration. It is not really hard to implement that.

And at the end - Yes, configuring PPPoE for DSL via CLI on Cisco router is bigger challenge than doing it on one-purpose simple DSL router with WebGUI, but I believe that some new set of commands related to this is not really too difficult to implement and to understand for CCNA certified users.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

I hope a CCNA can configure a DSL/PPPoE connection in a router.  If not, they are definitely no CCNA, and does not even know the basic configuration of computer networks.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

thanks for reply.

But I could not find in Cisco CCNA book or in Exam. Book only discuss PPP. I can only find in "Network warrior" "you can find which is not in CCNA"

Please advise me if I wrong.

I'm not sure what the CCNA study guide or exam would look like, but I know that almost every person in the western world with dsl at home can configure PPPoE without a CCNA.  And if you're studying for a CCNA and don't know this, you've got a lot to learn before your networking skills are to a level where someone would pay you for your knowledge.

Configure an ADSL and VPN on modem, now it is so easy by GUI but configuring on Cisco routers is different thing.

I asked for cisco routers.

thanks 

Agreed.  You asked this in the small business forum, so I didn't know this context.  Hopefully someone will move this thread to the proper place.

Michal Bruncko
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

CCNA certification content/chapters/exam are changing over years almost on regular basis. What was a part of CCNA few years ago, could be already excluded. This applies to DSL technology. Some years before, it was a part of CCNA (CCNA4 training curricula as WAN related topic), but it is not a part of CCNA anymore.

In summary CCNA certified person is not ready for configuring PPPoE for DSL as this is not a part of existing CCNA preparation reading. But I hope that someone who applied CCNA exam could be so smart, find corresponding documentation/howtos on internet and be prepared for DSL and PPPoE configuration. It is not really hard to implement that.

And at the end - Yes, configuring PPPoE for DSL via CLI on Cisco router is bigger challenge than doing it on one-purpose simple DSL router with WebGUI, but I believe that some new set of commands related to this is not really too difficult to implement and to understand for CCNA certified users.

agkhan-au
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Thank you, I was thinking in same way but I need other's opinion.

thanks