Views
Helpful
Replies

Can connect to RVS4000 with the wrong IP and subnet

criddel74
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am fairly new to networking as well as posting in forums please be gentle. I have a strange problem. I tried to update our production switch over the weekend with a newer unmanaged Gigabit switch. Everything was fine after the change and the network had a noticeable change in speed.

But when I came back in on Monday the Internet was down. So I tried trouble shooting the switch to see if there was a loop or something like that and put it into managed mode so I could look at the config page and take advantage of the STP function. When trying to get to the config page I entered the default IP into my browser and a logon appeared so I tried to login and it failed then I noticed that the title of the browser tab said RVS4000. So out of curiosity I entered the creds for the router and lo and behold it let me in to the router.

The router has a static IP and is using a different subnet then the default IP of 192.168.2.1 that the switch has. I have put the old switch back and removed the new one from production but can still get to the router with either IP, it's static address and the 2.1 address.

Has anyone experienced this before or know what I could possibly be doing wrong? The crazy thing is now the switch is bricked. I have a new one coming but need to resolve this issue before I put it into production.

Thank you for any help, sorry for the novel.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Chris, it is possible that someone configured a VLAN on the router. All of the VLAN ip addresses are management IP for the unit. You may want to check the L2 switch tab of the unit and verify this is not the case. You may also want to verify the vlan 1 of the router is what you're expecting.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Chris, it is possible that someone configured a VLAN on the router. All of the VLAN ip addresses are management IP for the unit. You may want to check the L2 switch tab of the unit and verify this is not the case. You may also want to verify the vlan 1 of the router is what you're expecting.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thank you I think that was it. There was a blank vlan with no description, othere than the vlan ID1 with description = default.

Do you think that could have bricked a layer 2 switch?

Thanks again!