cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't get ports open on RV320

Jeff Rozar
Level 1
Level 1

So I'm setting up the RV320 so port 25 is forwarded to an internal Exchange server.

The RV320 hangs off of a cable modem, and there is no firewall on the cable modem.

I went into Firewall / Access Rules. I created a rule that Allows SMTP, source interface is WAN1, Source IP is ANY, and Destination is set to the IP of the Exchange Server. Scheduling is set to Always. Here is a snapshot: https://i.imgsafe.org/a366195062.jpg

But external port checking from ShieldsUp from grc.com shows all in Stealth. Port 443, for some reason, shows Closed.

Works great as a gateway for internal PCs, but ports aren't accessible from the outside.

Under Setup/Advanced Routing, the Working mode is set as a Gateway. I think this is right.

Or am I missing something else?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

craig.cordts
Level 1
Level 1

I don't have a RV320 in front of me but that configuration looks correct.

I assume you are trying to allow Exchange to accept mail from the internet ?

Another way to test if it is letting SMTP through is from outside your network, try to telnet using port 25 to the public address(WANX) of the RV320.

If you receive a prompt back from your Exchange server, SMTP traffic is getting passed by the RV320.

Here is a pretty good article on configuring Access Rules on a RV320.

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/GetArticle.aspx?docid=8c7797be9bac465aa93a79ca2545d493_Access_Rules_Configuration_on_RV320_Router.xml&pid=2&converted=0

Good luck.

Craig

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

craig.cordts
Level 1
Level 1

I don't have a RV320 in front of me but that configuration looks correct.

I assume you are trying to allow Exchange to accept mail from the internet ?

Another way to test if it is letting SMTP through is from outside your network, try to telnet using port 25 to the public address(WANX) of the RV320.

If you receive a prompt back from your Exchange server, SMTP traffic is getting passed by the RV320.

Here is a pretty good article on configuring Access Rules on a RV320.

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/GetArticle.aspx?docid=8c7797be9bac465aa93a79ca2545d493_Access_Rules_Configuration_on_RV320_Router.xml&pid=2&converted=0

Good luck.

Craig

Yes, trying to setup Exchange to accept emails.

And I can telnet 25 to the exchange server from *inside* my network, so I know Exchange is set to receive email.

Using grc.com to test openness of the ports, port 25 is "Stealth", as are all of the ports except 443, which shows closed.

So telnetting from outside wouldn't help b/c port 25 isn't even open.

No matter what port I try and open on the firewall, it shows as "Stealth" from grc.com's ShieldsUp.

The RV320 was setup correctly. The IP from the cable company, though it's a static IP, is not passing port 25 through. So I'll take it up with them. Thanks for the help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: