Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Can you connect back-to-back RV180 using the WAN port?

I have two buildings to connect over a distance of 400 to 500 ft.  I need to replace the existing equipment and would like ot use the RV180-K9-NA as the new connection between the buildings.  Do I set this up as GateWay (NAT) or Router option.  Standard cross over cable?

Thank, Ern

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Hello Ern,

One problem your going to run into is cable length.

The maximum length for a CAT5e or CAT6 ethernet cable run is 328 feet.

You will need to look into putting another device in the middle (a simple switch would work) or going with another cabling option, for example fiber optics.

Other than that yes it would be possible to connect one RV180 to another.  You would want to run a cable from a LAN port on the first RV to the WAN port on the second, then setup the second RV with a static IP on it's WAN port in the first RVs network.  Any devices behind the second one would be a seperate network, with the second RV180 acting as the gateway.  To make this work you need to use static and default routes, which I can go into when we get there.

If the cable length was shorter, you would want to use a standard cable, but almost every device supports MDIX now so crossover or standard the device would just adjust itself to work properly.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Christopher Ebert

Network Support Engineer - Cisco Small Business Support Center

*Please rate helpful posts*