Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot connect to WRVS4400N using Quick VPN Client

cascade2011
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am very new to Quick VPN and have not had any success connecting with our router.  I hope I could get some help from the forum to guide me, or if an answer already exist in the forum, please direct me to it.  Below is my components info.

Cisco router:   WRVS4400N, Firmware V2.0.0.7. 

The router is behind a Comcast SMC business gateway modem

Remote computer:  Window 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I downloaded the Quick VPN client 1.4.2.1, and installed the client successfully but cannot connect using the VPN Client Account that I had set up in the router.  Below are several questions that I hope to understand.

1) Do I need to configure specific ports for VPN in the Comcast gateway firewall?

2) What IP address do I put in the Quick VPN client profile when I connect remotely?  The WRVS4400N modem shows 2 IP addresses in the Status:

DNS1:  68.xx.xx.176

DNS2:  68.xx.xx.132

Are these the IP that go into the "Server Address" on the Quick VPN client profile? and which one of the two?

or do I use the static WAN IP address provided by my Comcast account?

3) In the Quick VPN client window, what is the "Use Remote DNS Server" mean?

4) Do I need to create a client certificate from the WRVS4400N for the client

5) Is there any setup needed for the remote firewall (if the client is behind a home wireless router and modem, for example)?

I would appreciate very much any help from the forum.  Thank you.

3 Replies 3

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Hung,

Thanks for posting.

1) Do I need to configure specific ports for VPN in the Comcast gateway firewall?

- Yes. Please open ports 443, 500, 4500 and 60443. The IP address is the WAN IP address of the WRVS4400N as provided by the Comcast Gateway. We do not officially support this type of configuration. Normally the WRVS4400N should be the only gateway and have a WAN IP address. I have seen some customers get this to work by opening the 4 ports to the router.

2) What IP address do I put in the Quick VPN client profile when I connect remotely?  The WRVS4400N modem shows 2 IP addresses in the Status:

DNS1:  68.xx.xx.176

DNS2:  68.xx.xx.132

Are these the IP that go into the "Server Address" on the Quick VPN client profile? and which one of the two?

or do I use the static WAN IP address provided by my Comcast account?

- Use the static WAN IP address provided by Comcast. If anyone reads this and does not have a static WAN IP address, open your browser and type www.ipchicken.com and you will see your current WAN IP address.

3) In the Quick VPN client window, what is the "Use Remote DNS Server" mean?

- Select this to use the DNS server(s) configured on the WRVS4400N. This usually remains unchecked.

4) Do I need to create a client certificate from the WRVS4400N for the client

- You do not need to export the certificate. If you do not, whenever you connect to the router you will see a warning that the PC doesn't have the router's certificate. If you wish to avoid this warning message, you can export the certificate and place it in the C:\Program Files\Cisco Small Business\QuickVPN Client (Or equivalent) folder of the client PC.

5) Is there any setup needed for the remote firewall (if the client is behind a home wireless router and modem, for example)?

- Make sure that the WRVS4400N and the remote router do not share a LAN IP address. As an example: If you use 192.168.1.1 on the WRVS4400N and connect from your router at home that also has LAN IP 192.168.1.1, you will not be able to connect. Change the WRVS4400N to 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.100.1 to avoid conflict. You may need to enable VPN Passthrough on your remote router as well.

Please reply if you have any questions.

I am trying to do the same thing. All of my settings match the above but I keep getting "the remote gateway is not responding" message.  I can see the user try to connect but it will not resolve. Also windows firewall has been activated, I have allowed quickvpn through it and I checked to make sure that the ipsec process is running. Currently as a test I am using 2 win 7 x64 systems on different networks. The connecting network is set to enable all vpn passthrough.

I am currently running into the exact same isssue.

Quick VPN Client: 1.4.2.1

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

Here is the log I get on the router's log:

Dec 5 20:56:09 - Configuration changed!

Dec 5 20:56:10 - [VPN Log]: added connection description "_rw_rw"

Dec 5 20:56:10 - [VPN Log]: listening for IKE messages

Dec 5 20:56:10 - [VPN Log]: forgetting secrets

Dec 5 20:56:10 - [VPN Log]: loading secrets from "/etc/ipsec.secrets"

Dec 5 20:57:08 - [VPN Log]: "_rw_rw": deleting connection

Dec 5 20:57:09 - Configuration changed!

Any suggestions? I keep getting "the remote gateway is not responding" message as Beau noted.

-rOck