Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2901 Power Issue

Wallace
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

I have a Cisco 2901/K9 V02 router that has a power issue.  It is a standard AC power unit.  There appears to be no AC OK led on the power supply.  I have seen documents that indicate that the non-POE AC supply has this led.  I have verified that this is a non-POE unit.

The unit has no SYS led operation or fan operation.  There is a single fan kick on power on.  I tried disconnecting the system board from the power supply.  I get the same +12 volts and +2.8 volts out of the supply.  The power supply label indicates that it has one output of +12 volts @ 11.3 amps.

I suspect that there is a error condition in the power supply.  I get a slight buzzing sound from the supply.

Anyone else have this type issue?  Was it the system board or power supply?

Thanks for your insight!

Wallace

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Guys,

I got my hands on a ac power supply for testing purposes.  Swapped the power supply with a known good supply.

The system has a failed motherboard -- Totally Dead!

Thanks for the replys.

Wallace

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at the LED Status :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/2900/hardware/installation/guide/Hardware_Installation_Guide/Overview.html

as per the description thinking that device is dead.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for your reply.  The unit is totally dark.  NO AC OK led on the ac power supply.  The supply is labeled as only 12 volts out.  Have one supply line that is 2.8 volts.  Which seems like a strange value.

Thanks,

Wallace

Hi Wallace,

Do you have a support contract for the device? It seems truly a hardware failure so there aren't so many options here.

Regards,

Martin

Thanks for your reply.  I do not have a contract on this unit.  It is in my home Cisco lab.  Just starting to get everything ready to start my studies.

The troubleshooting docs point to either the power supply or the system board.  Hope to get access to another power supply to verify this.

Is there any way to get updated ROMMON software for the 2811 routers, considering it is now discontinued and not supported?

Thanks,

Wallace

Hello Wallace,

Unfortunately, the TAC software support is available up to 5 years after announcing the product EoS date (which is 11.01.2011). The Cisco 2811 routers are considered obsolete products and officially there is no way to provide any update on any part of the hardware or software at this point. 

Regards,

Martin

if this full dark, then kit might have dead, raise TAC case if you have support to RMA.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Guys,

I got my hands on a ac power supply for testing purposes.  Swapped the power supply with a known good supply.

The system has a failed motherboard -- Totally Dead!

Thanks for the replys.

Wallace