Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 861W ISR, RV220W or WRVS4400N

philippmichael
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

i`m searching for a professional router system for small business use.

So i searched the whole internet about some solutions and finally one of the following will it be.

but i don`t know which one.

1.) WRVS4400N

The first router i wanted to buy, but it`s hard to get in germany. Also this product seems to be available since 2008 or earlier, so maybe it at the end of its lifecycle.

2.) RV220W

Seems to be the newer / follow up product of 4400N.

3.) 861W ISR

Seems to be also an older product, with better throughput performance in all firewall and deep packet / VPN belongs than the RV220W.

Only thing i worry about are the four Fastethernet Ports.

Is my picture about these three products allright?

The application will be a small bureau with 10 employees. 15 to 20 PCs running. 50% connected via WLAN, 50% connected via LAN cable.

2 Networkprinters, 1 Fileserver. All connected with a 16MBit ADSL Line to the internet. At the moment there is no need to have VPN connection to our internal Network, but this will be a need in future (5-10 PCs).

At the moment our used SOHO solution has sometimes problems with the traffic and the 10 permanent VPN Tunnels to another company network, resulting in a reboot of this small router.

So which solution will be the best for this szenario?

Thanks

Regards

Philipp

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Phillipp, the RV220W sounds like it should be a good match for you. However, if you're looking for a much more mature product then the 861 would be better. However, the 861, to my knowledge supports only 5 IPSEC tunnels. So, based off the products listed here, the RV220W is the only router capable to meet your goal of 10 tunnels.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

Yes, keep in mind the RV220W has 1 year free configuration assistance and limited lifetime hardware warranty. To receive configuration assistance on the 861, TAC will require a service contract. This can also be a very important factor.

-Tom

Message was edited by: Tom Watts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Phillipp, the RV220W sounds like it should be a good match for you. However, if you're looking for a much more mature product then the 861 would be better. However, the 861, to my knowledge supports only 5 IPSEC tunnels. So, based off the products listed here, the RV220W is the only router capable to meet your goal of 10 tunnels.

-Tom

Hi Tom,

thanks for your fast feedback.

The 10 tunnels are not that important. If there will be only 5 tunnels, it will also be ok.

The first and primary goal here is a stable and secure connection.

So under these limitations your primary recommandation will be the 861W ISR, second choice the RV220W, correct?

Regards.

Philipp

Yes, keep in mind the RV220W has 1 year free configuration assistance and limited lifetime hardware warranty. To receive configuration assistance on the 861, TAC will require a service contract. This can also be a very important factor.

-Tom

Message was edited by: Tom Watts

Ok, thanks for your fast help.

I think we`ll try the RV220W.

Best Regards

Philipp

I was in a very similar situation, I chose RV220W and now regret (specifications and features great but only on paper). Cisco products (at least those with RV series) have a very underdeveloped, unstable, and inefficient software (firmware). I was disappointed, releasing a series of patches is very long. I also can not be sure that everything will be fixed ever.

Older cisco products even more I do not recommend (because of the end of support)

Hey Thomas,

thanks for your experiences, using the RV220W. Which features aren`t working in detail?

Is there an actual firmware release which runs stable, out of your perspective?

Thanks.

Philipp

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: