Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASR920 PPPoE configuration

fescribanoc
Level 1
Level 1

Dear community,

I'm trying to setup a broadband link in our router, ISP shared it is using PPPoE to establish the lnik and get a public static IP address.

I've configured so far the physical port towards the ONT as follows:

interface TenGigabitEthernet0/0/2
no ip address
negotiation auto
pppoe enable group global
pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1

and Dialer1 interface

interface Dialer1
ip address negotiated
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool 1
ppp authentication chap pap callin
ppp chap hostname ******
ppp chap password ******
ppp pap sent-username ***** password ******

But PPPoE seems stuck in PADISNT state

show pppoe sess
1 client session

Uniq ID PPPoE RemMAC Port VT VA State
SID LocMAC VA-st Type
N/A 0 0000.0000.0000 Te0/0/2 Di1 N/A PADISNT

When enabling debug pppoe events errors packet, I'm unable to capture anything (term mon is enabled).

Is there anything that I'm missing at the configuration level?

This is IOS version running

Cisco IOS Software [Fuji], ASR920 Software (PPC_LINUX_IOSD-UNIVERSALK9_NPE-M), Version 16.9.3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

And Cisco router model.

cisco ASR-920-4SZ-A

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @MHM Cisco World, it is resolved but I finally connected ISP ONT to our firewall, instead of our Cisco 920. This worked perfectly fine with an MTU of 1492. I'm still wondering what was wrong with Cisco config.... unfortunately we couldn't spend more time on investigation.

Thank you both @Flavio Miranda and @MHM Cisco World for your suggestions.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

interface TenGigabitEthernet0/0/2

NO SHUT <- need this

Thank you for your quick response, forgot to include sh ip int brie for clarity, both interfaces are up up.

Te0/0/2 unassigned YES NVRAM up up

Dialer1 unassigned YES manual up up

I'm planning to configure IPCP for testing on Dialer1 but I was expecting PPPoE sessions would show something else at this point.

As an additional information, I am using a transceiver connected on Te0/0/2 (GLC-TE).

ISP sent an engineer today and he configured PPPoE connection at his laptop and was getting the public IP address but couldn't give too much details on how the connection was setup on ISP side (PAP/CHAP, Vlans, IPCP, ...) 

please reduce the MTU to be 1300 see if this solve your issue.

I tried with 1492 due to ppp headers and it didn't work now tested with 1300 and the same.

@MHM Cisco World thanks for this, I'm a bit confused about your suggestion, how can I test connectivity with ISP if PPPoE is not even established? I'm not getting any IP assigned on Dialer interface so I assume pings will fail due to that, correct?

You mention that ISP engineer come and do test, he get ip use same one.

If not have ip try reduce mtu to be 1000.

I see the PPPoE send PADI and not receive any thing, the only thing make frame drop since this is L2 is MTU is large than the accept value in path toward ISP. 
I see one time costumer use below to 1260 MTU. 

double check this information on your side and their side:

ppp chap hostname ******
ppp chap password ******

Thanks for the suggestion, already checked with them on PPP username and password, I have actually configured a PPPoE client in a windows laptop, plugged into ONT and credentials are correct.

Also if PPP credentials are wrong, shouldn't we see PPPoE session in a different state? I'm not even receiving any offer to PADI

***Editing reply to include debug pppoe output

004715: .Apr 11 16:15:05.311 GMT:  padi timer expired

004716: .Apr 11 16:15:05.311 GMT:  Sending PADI: Interface = TenGigabitEthernet0/0/2

004717: .Apr 11 16:15:05.312 GMT: pppoe_send_padi:

This is happening every 30 seconds and no response back from ISP

@fescribanoc  please update if this issue is solved.

Hi @MHM Cisco World, it is resolved but I finally connected ISP ONT to our firewall, instead of our Cisco 920. This worked perfectly fine with an MTU of 1492. I'm still wondering what was wrong with Cisco config.... unfortunately we couldn't spend more time on investigation.

Thank you both @Flavio Miranda and @MHM Cisco World for your suggestions.

Thanks for share solution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: