Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Linksys E4200v1 and RV180

safekali
Level 1
Level 1

Good evening,

I currently have one Cisco Linksys E4200 v1, and at this point, I am very happy with it. It can do 450Mbps of WIFI 5Ghz and all ports are GiB.

But since it does not support VPN termination at least with the official firmware, I'm currently considering the acquisition of a RV180.

The E4200 will work only as access point.

My main concern are the several complains about this and that. I remember again that my E4200 is working like a charm. So I'm in a rough position to decide whether or not to buy the RV180.

Can you guys please pinpoint what is missing or not working in the RV180 please?

My Best Regards

Safekali

2 Replies 2

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Good morning

Hi Ricardo, thanks for using our forum, my name is Johnnatan and I am part of the Small business Support community. Such every device in the IT world there are many customers satisfied and many unsatisfied when thay get a new product, most of the complains about this device is by misconfigurations or overload devices, it is true, it supports many functions and protocols, however that does not mean we have to have them all active at the same time and overload the CPU at 100% all the time, but there is not a problem with the software or hardware of the device. You can see all its features here, I also recommend take a look of this new router, the RV215, you can check its features here

I hope you find this answer useful,

*Please mark the question as Answered or rate it so other users can benefit from it"

Greetings,

Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Clayton Sill
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Ricardo,

I'd say the biggest thing I've been hearing going around is the port forwarding issue. Currently there is a issue going on were port forwarding does not work and it could be with just PPPoE connections though? I know I've gotten port forwarding to work when set to either DHCP/Static on the wan side but there is a beta firmware out currently for this issue just don't know a ETA when a offical release will be out.

Also i think there is a issue with the NAT throughput were it gets really slow when you enable WAN QoS. You may want to search around the forums though to see if this is true.

Other than that I would check out the release notes on known issue they are experiencing with the current release.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv180w/release_notes/rv180w_rn_1-0-1-9.pdf

What are your end goals with this device though? I assuming you are wanting to use it for VPN. I'd say most of the issue that people are reporting will be fixed in firmware releases. The actually hardware of the unit is very good but the software still needs a little work at this point. I own the wireless version of this model and I really like it.

Hope that helps you out some!

Thanks,

Clayton SIll

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: