cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV-325 Access Rules are not restricting Port Forwarding

rdk_cisco1
Level 1
Level 1

There are a couple older postings (https://community.cisco.com/t5/small-business-routers/port-forwarding-on-rv320-bypasses-firewall-rules/td-p/2601764) on this subject which I  have not found to be useful today.

I have an RV325 Cisco Small Business router, Firmware Version:v1.5.1.11 (2020-05-28, 21:27:51).  

I'm having problems understand and/or implementing Access rules for transferring WAN2 traffic for a specific port to an internal device/server.

• If I create a Service for TCP port 9999 going to port 9999 and then create an Access Rule using that Service to send any WAN2 traffic arriving with that port number to internal address 10.0.0.50.  For that configuration, no traffic reaches the device at 10.0.0.50.
  • if I also create a Forwarding rule using the same Service to the same device address (10.0.0.50), it works.  But the port 9999 traffic is not being restricted to only WAN2, it also works from WAN1!!  It appears that the Access Rule is being ignored.
  • I have found some older references which suggest that one needs a DENY rule, right after the  ALLOW Access Rule,  which specifies ANY instead of WAN2.  I've tried that without success.

Can anyone comment on what I'm doing wrong or how to solve this problem?

Thanks....RDK

18 Replies 18

Hello RDK,

Definitely, that is a strange behaviour of the RV325 web GUI. Service Management services should appear in the list and be able to be modified and/or deleted. We do not have such a bug registered in our records. There are two options - either factory reset the device and configure it from scratch or contact our technical support engineers to do further troubleshooting with the RV.

Regards,

Martin

Martin.....OK,...

Since this unit is 'END-of-Life', I assume option 2 is not free?

For option 1, I have the latest firmware update (v1.5.1.11 (2020-05-28, 21:27:51)).  Assume that I backup the current configuration.  Can that backup be used to return this unit to its current state if the factory reset does not fix the PAT-Access Rule issue?

Thanks...RDK

Hello RDK,
Yes, you can backup now and do the factory reset. After that, you can restore the config from the backup. However, you can also try to contact the support team.

Regards,
Martin

Martin....Thanks for your help.  I will have to schedule a time when I can take this unit out of service without impacting other folks and applications.  I will do that as my next step but it may be several weeks before I find an open time.  Thanks again...RDK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: