cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV042 & RV042G routers locking up

NedPrime
Level 1
Level 1

Is anyone else having all their Cisco RV042 & RV042 locking up weekly.  Almost every router I have sold to my clients are locking up weekly. They all have the newest firmware. Is there a DOS attach going on? This just started about a month ago and I'm still receiving phone calls daily.  I put a call in to Cisco tech support, but I don't think they are interested in looking into it, since they are reaching end of life in 2025.

35 Replies 35

PF Sense has been great for us and we’ve started moving away from Cisco as
well.

lello
Level 1
Level 1

This is exactly what is happening to my clients having RV042G. These routers have been working great for years, regularly updated up to the latest FW, recently they started to lock and they need to be power cycled to work again. Some of them has also permanently failed, they don't release any IP address so you cannot connect to them anymore. Reset button won't solve the problem

RV042G-K9-NA
We also have had this router on our network from August 2020 (without issues) until 5 months ago. Around the beginning of this year (2022) our router started having issues. Our internal network keeps dropping, sometimes twice a day. When a new device tries to connect to the network, it often fails to automatically be assigned a new IP address and cannot connect. The router needs to be restarted. We have the latest firmware installed on our router. The firmware of the router is v4.2.3.14. 

Is a new firmware update coming or is there a fix recommended by Cisco in order to keep our router working? A year and a half use since purchase seems poor - I thought Cisco was a high end reliable brand? 

Many thanks for any advice in advance…

Paul

Hey Paul, 

Nope, read my post in here on the asinine conversation with Cisco. 

They said tough........luck. 

I'd recommend the TPLink ER7206. For small business they seem to be working great for site to site VPN tunnels, and client to vpn using Shrew Client (a free vpn client on the internet). I tried to setup PPTP without success, didn't try hard since most ISPs/routers block it anyway. 

For bigger clients I'm going with Fortigate 40's. 

Done with Cisco. For such a LONG production router, to kill support for it so quickly is bs. 

Lawrence

trncomm
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same problem since updating to the newest firmware. Before that the network was rock solid.
When a VPN would fail I would try to log in to the web interface and get "502 Bad Gateway The CGI was not CGI/1.1 compliant."

I wish I could go back to the older firmware or Cisco would fix the issue.
Rebooting every week is getting to be a problem.

John

Yea, like I said above. Cisco really failed on this one. The issue is that the memory is being overloaded for whatever reason. They have clearly said they won't fix it, and essentially tough luck. Get a Tplink ER7206 they work great and same ish price. Or Fortigate 40F for 100+ clients. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: