Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO RV042G - Configuring subnets

dannroovaa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

I have recently bought Cisco Small Business RV042G, but I have trouble configuring subnets, I would like to know how do I assign subnets per ports ?

I would like to create for example: Port 1 - 192.168.1.x /24, Port 2 - 192.168.2.x /24 and so on...

and how can I access CLI on this router? I have already tried to enter via telnet ( firewall disabled ) but it can't open.

Hope can someone give me any feedback for this issue,

Regards,

Adrian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Please make sure the default gateway on the PC is 192.168.3.1. 

You should not need a static route on the ISP modem

Regards,

Mike

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Michael Swenson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The RV042G does not have a CLI interface.  Only GUI browser access.

Furthermore, the RVo42G does not support true vlan and trunk ports.  The RV042 does support multiple subnets.  Thus, you can add a second subnet to the RV042G and the router will route that subnet and give access to the internet.  However the RV042G will not support DHCP for the 2nd subnet.

The RV042G does support port based Vlans 1-4.  Thus you can define a port on vlan 2 and connect all your 192.168.2.0/24 device to that port only. 

Best Regards,

Mike

Hello Mike,

Many thanks for your feedback, I have been trying to find where to assign a port on vlan ''X'' to a created subnet,also I have taken a look but I have had not success,

Regarding previous attached image ''rvo.png'', I would like to assign subnet 2 192.168.3.1 /24 to port 2, and that I create a second subnet address 192.168.4.1 /24 and I would like to assign it to port 3 an so on.., I was trying to find an option as you mentioned in your previous reply (Thus you can define a port on vlan 2 and connect all your 192.168.2.0/24 device to that port only) to assign the created subnet on a port on vlan ''X'' I did not find the option,

Note: On Port Management section, can you show me were do I can do this or if there's another way to do it? Please see ''rv0(1)'' for reference,

Thanks for your time,

Regards,

Adrian

Hello,

The RV042 only supports port based Vlans.  Thus, you will not find an option to link a subnet to a Vlan or port. 

You would simply set the port to Vlan 2,3 or 4 and then connect your devices to that port with the subnet statically set on the PCs...

Next if you add the subnet to the multiple subnets on the RV042 and make the default gateway on your PCs the IP address of the multiple subnet, then the RV042 will route the subnet to the internet and back.

The RVo42 is not a Vlan router.  But it does support the routing of multiple subnets

Nest Regards,

Hello Michael,

Sorry to trouble you again, let me share you my escenario (last question),

1.- My wan connection has the ip address: 192.168.1.200 (Please see ''Wan status'' image for reference)
2.- I have created my LAN connection with the IP address: 192.168.2.1 /24 (Please refer to attached image ''Lan setting'').
3.- I have developed Subnet: 192.168.3.1 /24
4.- I configure a PC with this new subnet addressing(192.168.3.2) but it's not routing outside to internet.

Do I have to make a static routing to my ISP Modem so now the created subnet can route to internet?

Thanks for your support,

Regards,

Adrian

Hello,

Please make sure the default gateway on the PC is 192.168.3.1. 

You should not need a static route on the ISP modem

Regards,

Mike

Hi Michael,

Many thanks for your great support! , Now I can route outside to the cloud, the default gateway was established correctly, think was a misconfiguration of my pc (unrelated to Default gateway),

Best Regards,

Adrian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: