cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO RV042G WAN bandwidth problem

panupong
Level 1
Level 1

I just recently purchased Cisco RV042G and i found out that my WAN bandwidth is only 100 Mbps but LAN all 4 ports is 1000 Mbps. After i googling for some solution i came across This discussion which is locked. From the last post i see someone mention that beta firmware solved the problem so can i request that firmware? 

you can send it to me via panupong.itkmitl@gmail.com or PM me for firmware link

thanks you!

7 Replies 7

ktonev
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

My name is Kristian and I am one of the engineers from the Small Business team.

I can see that the topic you have referenced is very old. Based on my experience I can suggest the following:

- Are you running the latest firmware for this device? If not I suggest upgrading to the latest version and testing again. You can also perform a factory reset on the device.

- Can you please confirm what is the bandwidth of your WAN connection?

- If your ISP is providing more than 100Mbps, how are you measuring that your WAN port is restricted to only 100Mbps?  Have you tested the speed if you connect a PC/Laptop capable of >100Mbps (i.e. 1/10Gbps NIC) directly to the ISP? 

If all of the above do not help and you are still experiencing this issue please contact us so we can create a support ticket for you and address the problem.

Thanks,
Kris

If you found this content helpful please rate it so other users can benefit as well.

Hi ktonev!

Sorry for very late reply, I just got some free time to mess with two router that i made them bridge to my RV042G one is ASUS it dosen't have Gigabit LAN port (aww) that's why one of RV042G WAN port status show me its running at 100 Mbps. But another fiber modem that's Huawei brand it have Gigabit LAN port but WAN port status of RV042G shows me 100 Mbps. Can it be ethernet cable that restricted the speed?

Hi,

Yes it could be a cable issue or it could be a port setting on the other device that is restricting the port speed to 100Mbps even though its capable ot 1000Mbps - please check if there is any auto negotiation configured on any of the 2 devices.

Thanks,

Kris

Hello Kristian,
I have a same problem, and on local Cisco seller suggestion I made an upgrade on latest firmware version. There was no difference. All the time my speed goes about 90/10 Mbps, and I have declared 150/10 Mbps. I tried to turn off SPI on firewall, changed cables between ISP modem and Cisco router from cat. 5E to cat. 6 shielded, changed cables between computer and router, changed computers (both with gigabit Ethernet), make an experiments with MTU value, all without any good results. In addition, I tried to check the connection on same infrastructure with cheap (about 40$) gigabit router with single WAN, and I got a 149/10 Mbps result. Last what I was try is to turn off completely firewall on Cisco router, and this step gives me some results. The last measurement gives me 128/10 with some peaks to 136 Mbps during the measurement. Then I was try with two WAN connections 150/10 + 20/2 and I got result 142/12.4 Mbps. Not 170 Mbps, but still much better than 92 Mbps. The measurements were performed in isolation without the other devices in the network, toward to the nearest ISP server.

Do you have any idea what can cause that firewall made consumption of 40 % download bandwidth, and is it possible to fix that? I cannot put this router in my client production and said to him “it is ok router if you don’t use firewall”.

Thanks in advance,

Renato

Hello Renato,

I suggest opening a support case with us so an engineer can look into this behaviour and assist further.

Thanks,
Kris

Thanks for fast response Kris. I will call tomorow morning from my job, since I need serial number for support. If we find solution Ill let you know.

Hello Kriss,

I just want to inform you that we solve problem with WAN speed. Actually there is some problem after firmware upgrade to latest version, which obvious need to reset router on factory state. After reseting router on factory default, new firmware work very well, and I have a full speed. I hope this will help to other people who have a same problem with older firmware.

Regards,

Renato

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: