Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV082 VPN | how to set static IP for PPTP client

v.basistyy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

In the PPTP setup I have IP address range. But some of PPTP clients are servers (Virtual Servers on MS Windows that connects to my office via VPN).

So I need to fix LAN IP's for that PPTP clients. How can I do it ? Or maybe I should use another options for such scenario ? 

5 Replies 5

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello, 

Thank you for reaching out and I'm sorry you are having issues with your device.

first of all, I will like to apologize as I don't really have an answer for your question as the VPN connections are not meant to be used this way, so there may be a workaround but I'm unaware of it right now.

The main reason I decided to answer this pots is to see if we can get more information so that we can design it better and maybe you won't need to have the servers connect to the VPN as clients and getting ip addresses from it.

Normally, the servers are on the location that has the VPN router and remote clients connect to it to access resources on that network.

Could you explain the reason why you have the servers connecting to a PPTP VPN? Why no just let remote users connect to the network? Are you connecting 2 offices together or it is just remote users at different locations?

Please let me know.

Thanks 4 your reply!

The reason is simple. I have an office DС server and two servers in 2 different data-centers. So I need to connect bouth of them to local network, migrate DC  role & disconnect office server from my network at all. 

One of my remote server will be DC & the other - RDS. So I realy need fixed IP for them.

Hi,

The RV082 does not have an option to manually set which IP address is used in PPTP. A workaround would be to setup a site to site VPN tunnel and that will resolve your issue with fixed IP.  Does your other router support site to site VPN? I hope that answers your question from what I have read so far.

HI!

I dont have "other router". 1st side - Cisco RV082 & the other side - Windows Server 2012 R2.

Hi,

If you do not have a router on the other side where the Win Server 2012 is located, can you give me a quick network topology of how the devices are connected. For example, Modem -> Router -> switch -> Win Server 2012. Please make sure to give me the model of each device, so I can take a look at what each device support. If you really do not have another router on the "other side" then I would suggest getting another RV082 or a router that supports router to router VPN tunnel as that would be the best way to resolve your issue regarding fixed IP addresses and it is more secure than PPTP. I hope that helps.