Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV180W Router & Default Gateway Issues

Rich FSomething
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks.

Just bought this router for my small biz.  I have a static IP with Teksavvy here in Southern Ontario.

The setup to authenticate my LAN to my ISP, requires the following:

IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, Primary & Secondary DNS.  I provide them, and I keep getting issues that say the following:

Static IP adress and Gateway should be in the same subnet

I have tried 192.168.1.1 as well as my ISP's published default gateway, however nothing seems to work.  At this point, I'm lost as to what to put in there so I can get this router to work.

Any advice appreciated. 

Cheers

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wrong forum, post in "small business routers". You can move your post using the actions panel on the rigth.

OK, thank you.  It's moved.

Update:  PPPoE is what I should have chosen instead of Static IP. 

There are some other issues I have found with this router:

1.  The interface to Firefox is very slow.  It takes 20 seconds for some pages to load.  Is this normal?  I am using Ethernet to log in.

2.  It takes 2 to 4 minutes for the router to establish a proper connection.  Some times it says that PPP Authentication has failed, yet services are indeed updating on the LAN.

3.  Ports are not allowing some services to come through.  Is it normal to have a factory setup with closed ports?

Any input appreciated. 

Cheers

How long has the router been on without a reboot?  If a reboot solves the problem, a digital lamp timer or reboot script may be the quickest solution.

Ports on all NAT routers are closed by default.  Depending on your application, you may use port forwarding, port triggering, or dmz to solve the port problem.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

At that point, minutes.  I restarted the router a couple of times.  Firefox directly into the back of that unit should be faster. Is it normally that slow?

Good to know about port forwarding being closed. 

Cheers

Rich,

The RV180(W) web interface is much slower than some other routers. It helps if you only click a link once, clicking multiple times can cause the page to load slower or even freeze. My personal experience has been that Google Chrome works better with the RV180 and RV220W routers.

The reboot time is 2 1/2 minutes. It may take a little longer for the internet connection to establish.

Samir is correct, all ports are closed for inbound traffic by default. This is the primary function of the firewall.

Please reply if you have any questions.

- Marty

Good knowledge.  Thank you. 

2.5 minutes!  Holy cow!  I thought my rv016 was slow at 45 seconds.

What causes such a slow reboot?  Is there anything that can be done to speed it up?

Hmm...strange.  Does it behave this slow after you've let it sit for about 5-10 mins?