Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV220W VPN Slowing down connection

wilmar.perez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have been facing an issue I don't really know how to troubleshoot. I currently have cable modem service with ElectronicBox (This is my service provider, not sure if it matter though) 20down/10up. I bought a Cisco RV220W which, despite its annoyances, works quite well. However, when I enable its VPN access (which weirdly needs me to enable remote access on ports TCP 446 or TCP 9446), the down and up performance slowly goes down. Usually after four hours it goes down to 5down/1up!

The issue seems to affect the cable modem. If I just unplug the router and plug a computer the speed is still slow. I can only fix it by rebooting the modem. Then it comes back to normal. It works great as long as I do not enable the Cisco VPN capabilities on the device. I am not publishing any service inside my network; I only use the VPN to access my personal VMWare lab. I do not have a public IP, I just use whatever my provider’s DHCP gives me.

I checked logs in the router an basically there is no indication at all. It doesn't complain for anything.

I would appreciate any hint or suggestion to try to found the root cause of this.

Thank you very much

2 Replies 2

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

If the modem is slow even after you remove the rv220, then it's not the rv220.  There's some sort of throttling going on by your service provider.  I'd contact them about it.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

mm... it's funny, they said exactly the same but the other way around :)

Thank you for replying