cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO RVO42 Problems connecting to the Internet and keeps dropping internet connection

sprbearer
Level 1
Level 1

I just puchased a new Cisco RV042 Duan WAN VPN Router (Small Business Series) Firmware version 4.0.08-tm (release Jan 14, 2011). Wan 1 is configured to obtain IP add automatically and WAN 2 is PPoE with the username and password provided by our ISP. Both WAN is set to load balance (auto) mode. Status of Both WAN is connected but most of the time only WAN 1 shows the WAN IP add, DNS, etc. while WAN 2 sometimes shows WAN IP add, DNS, etc. but most of the time WAN 2 is all zero. When this happened I click connect and sometimes it worked but most of the time it keep on dropping the connection and all will return to zeros.

WAN 1 also works but most of the time it drops connection with the ISP. I keep on experiencing internet connection lost.

I do not know what is wrong, is it with the router, the firmware or my configurations. Attached are snapshots of the basic configuration of the router.

I am disappointed because I thought when I purchased this router it can provide me with more stable internet connection but after three days of using it, I have more trouble connecting to the internet and my boss already scolded me. Please help!

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Slide4.JPG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

davidagu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Gary,

My name is David Aguilar, and I am a support engineer with the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Sorry that you are experiencing these issues. Several things:

First, you will want to upgrade to the latest firmware version (Release 4.1.1.01). It can be found here: http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=282414010&softwareid=282465789&release=4.1.1.01&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Secondly, if you are using both WAN interfaces, you will need to enable protocol binding for HTTPS. If HTTPS (encrypted) traffic is split up between the two WAN interfaces, it can cause instability when you browse to secure websites. To prevent this, you need to direct all HTTPS traffic out of a specific interface.

To do this, go to Systme Managment>Dual WAN, and select HTTPS as the service. Enter your LAN range as the source IP, and 0.0.0.0 - 255.255.255.255 as the Destination IP. Simply bind HTTPS to either WAN 1 or WAN 2.

You can refere to the following screenshot:

If you are still having issues, please give us a call at 1-866-606-1866. We are open 24/7, and would be happy to assist you.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

davidagu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Gary,

My name is David Aguilar, and I am a support engineer with the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Sorry that you are experiencing these issues. Several things:

First, you will want to upgrade to the latest firmware version (Release 4.1.1.01). It can be found here: http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=282414010&softwareid=282465789&release=4.1.1.01&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Secondly, if you are using both WAN interfaces, you will need to enable protocol binding for HTTPS. If HTTPS (encrypted) traffic is split up between the two WAN interfaces, it can cause instability when you browse to secure websites. To prevent this, you need to direct all HTTPS traffic out of a specific interface.

To do this, go to Systme Managment>Dual WAN, and select HTTPS as the service. Enter your LAN range as the source IP, and 0.0.0.0 - 255.255.255.255 as the Destination IP. Simply bind HTTPS to either WAN 1 or WAN 2.

You can refere to the following screenshot:

If you are still having issues, please give us a call at 1-866-606-1866. We are open 24/7, and would be happy to assist you.

Hello Mr. David,

Thank you for the reply. I will try the solution to told me. Right now, I switch back to my old Linksys WRVS4400N router to access the net separating the two ISPs I have, one with this router and the other with the default/ISP provided Huawei SmartAX MT800, the Huawei is configured as PPPoE and I set it in bridge mode and use the RV042 as to log-in via PPPoE. Anyway I will respond to you as soon as I tried your solution.

Thank you again,

Gary

Thank you sir for the help, it worked. The only problem now is that my second ISP in WAN 2/DMZ is having network issues. I contacted their tech support already and they said that they are trying their best to restore the connection. The problem is when I access other pages (aside from those using https protocol like gmail and other secure sites) the router will sometime direct me to the ISP in WAN 2 and it seems that other computers cannot access the net because these computers are (I am not sure, it is just my impression) assigned by the router to use WAN 2. Is there a way to make certain computers be assigned to a particular ISP or to a particular WAN port in RV042 without setting the dual WAN mode to Smartlink Back up mode?

Thank you, any this problem might be temporary and will be resolved once our ISP assigned in WAN 2 is already back online. Thank you.