cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Small Business RV220W Wireless-N Network Security Firewall

travis0011111
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to this router and I was wondering if anybody could help me figure out how to block PING requests to the firewall through IPv4. I'm wanting to block ping requests from wireless VLAN. How do I go by getting this up and running? I have tried using the firewall access rules and blocking PING from inbound, Outbound, and VLAN. But for some reason I am still able to get replies from default gateway when I PING it. Any advice on how to counteract this?

Thank You,

Travis

5 Replies 5

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello, 

May I ask what is the purpose of this? I'm asking for two reasons:

1- I don't think it is possible. I tried it today and you are always able to ping the router's IP address from any VLAN no matter what configuration or restrictions I put in place on the router itself.

2- Not being able to ping the router won't actually hide it as the only thing you have to do to find out what the ip address of the router is, is to run an IP config and look at the default gateway.

If we know what is the end goal then we can give a better idea about how to accomplish it or just tell you if it is not possible,

Please let us know.

Maybe this is fundamental question concerning about firewall functionality of that router :-). If someone wanted to prohibit ping to gateway interface on device which supports firewall functionality, then it should work, right? (yes, I am not discussing about reasons why someone wants to achieve it).

How could anyone be sure about other customized firewall rules.. will they work or not?

Hello Michal, 

To answer your question, it is not possible to block pings to the default gateway on this router.

Customized firewall rules don't work either.

You can disable Device Management access for any VLAN you wish.

I hope this was helpful.

And for the record, I've not run into any brand's smb router that can be set up this way to deny lan pings.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Ty Melrose
Level 1
Level 1

If you are trying to have the router not respond to a ping from internally, I don't think that can be done.  From external, the settings are at Firewall->Attack Prevention.