cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP issuing IP addresses out of range of the starting IP address.

Streamlinetexas
Level 1
Level 1

Our router is set up to issue IP's through DHCP starting at 192.168.0.115 but for some reason people's cell phones/laptops are connecting to 192.168.0.110 automatically and we use that IP for a machine in our shop and it keeps conflicting. It's a very difficult process to change the IP on the machine, does anyone have any ideas what could be happening here?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

If the DHCP bindings don't show that the router gave out that IP address (it starts at 116 like you said) then those IP addresses are likely statically assigned. 

ARP/RARP table won't ever assign IP addresses. Your best bet is to find out what MAC address corresponds to that IP address (show ip arp) and then find out what switchport it is connected to (show mac address-table <MAC_Address>) and track down the device that is using that IP address.

Also, it may help for you to show the OUI of the MAC address as it may point to the vendor of the device. 

View solution in original post

Yup

Ping the device and check the arp to get the Mac then you can check switches Mac table to see where the device is.  Goodluck 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

What does your config for dhcp look like?

Here is a screenshot, I hope this explains it a little better. We have the starting ip at 192.168.0.115 but you can see with my angryip scanner, there are a few machines that are at 110, 113, 114. http://imgur.com/fLzCQdS

Do I need to change something else in the router?

edit: We do have an access point, and a couple switches around our office but that shouldn't affect anything should it?

Can you check the dhcp table to see if that router in fact handed out the ip addresses?

Did you recently change the scope?

Glad you said that. The DHCP table looks fine actually, everything is 116 and up. but the ARP/RARP table is what is assigning IP's under 115. How do I fix this?

If the DHCP bindings don't show that the router gave out that IP address (it starts at 116 like you said) then those IP addresses are likely statically assigned. 

ARP/RARP table won't ever assign IP addresses. Your best bet is to find out what MAC address corresponds to that IP address (show ip arp) and then find out what switchport it is connected to (show mac address-table <MAC_Address>) and track down the device that is using that IP address.

Also, it may help for you to show the OUI of the MAC address as it may point to the vendor of the device. 

Yup

Ping the device and check the arp to get the Mac then you can check switches Mac table to see where the device is.  Goodluck 
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: