cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual WAN router and protocol binding

ningunoo2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I'm in the process of finding a dual WAN router with VPN support, that allow me to redirect some traffic to one specific WAN port and do load balancing of that specific traffic in case of that WAN failing (this last requirement is preferably but isn't fully needed).

Does the RV042/G could help me with that? In that case, does it allow protocol redirect only? What about ip/ports redirecting? Or some kind of packet filtering to redirect to specific WAN ports?

Maybe do I need another router in the businees line?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Jose, the RV0XX(g) model support a protocol binding from source LAN to destination wan defined. It may be a range of LAN host or a single LAN host. It may be service oriented or all services. In the case of a WAN failure, all protocol bindings are "ignored" and will fail over to the active WAN until normal operation is restored.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Jose, the RV0XX(g) model support a protocol binding from source LAN to destination wan defined. It may be a range of LAN host or a single LAN host. It may be service oriented or all services. In the case of a WAN failure, all protocol bindings are "ignored" and will fail over to the active WAN until normal operation is restored.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks for the quick and complete answer Tom! I think that the RV042 would fullfill my requirements then.

Do you know if there is anyway to avoid the load balancing in some specific rules? My concern is because I need to route some heavy outbound traffic of one service to a specific WAN; but in case of that WAN not available, I need that traffic not to be send automatically to the other WAN.

Kind regards

RV0xx does not support "selective failover" that you described. However you could assign a low priority to the traffic that does not need failover, so its impact to other more important traffic is minimized.

Hi tekliu! Thanks for your answer to. But that "low priority rule" would apply only in case of the main WAN assigned to that traffic being unavailable? Cause when the WAN alive I need it at full speed.

Maybe I was not clear enough, I need something like this.

1) Heavy traffic (A) assigned to WAN2. Also I have light traffic (B) assigned to WAN2.

2) WAN 1 fail.

3) Heavy traffic (A) and light traffic (B) failover to WAN 1.

I need B to continue at full priority speed, and A to not failover to WAN1. Fail to WAN1 with very low priority as you describe could be an alternative (althought not my ideal choice for this task).

Or maybe there is any cisco product that offer that kind of selective failover?

Sorry if I'm not very clear, my network experience isn't the best!

Kind regards,

With RV0xx, if there is no competing traffic, low-priority traffic will use up all available bandwidth.

In your scenario, what got sacrificed is that you cannot assign high priority to traffic A when WAN2 is up.

Sorry I didn't understand the last one very well.

I don't matter if traffic A can't be assigned high priority in WAN2. But do you say  that if WAN 2 down, (A) traffic will use full speed if nothing else  using that WAN? That is exactly what I don't want. Can I assign a max  rate of 0kb to that traffic when in WAN1?