cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

First Hop Spoofing with Traceroute on RV180

TekMason0
Level 1
Level 1

There is an issue with the RV180 where it spoofs the first hop on a traceroute to any host outside of your LAN.  If you do a traceroute to host1.foo.com the first hop show up as host.foo.com instead of the default gateway (on the WAN side)..  This is odd behavior that is just wrong and can screw up monitoring tools.

I have opened Cisco support ticket on it and I expect they will be logging an official bug report shortly.  Hopefully there will be a fix in the next firmware release.  I'll post any developments to this thread.

TekMason

2 Replies 2

TekMason0
Level 1
Level 1

Update...

I got a call back from 2nd level support today and it looks like  this is a bona fide bug.  He is going to create a bug report, pass it  onto Engineering and they will pass it on to Development who will  hopefull have a fix in the next few months in a maintenance release.

The  Cisco tech mentioned that the RV180 uses the Debian kernal.  This  Debian bug report looks an aweful lot like what is happening in the  RV180 Bug#631980: linux-image-3.0.0-rc4-amd64: Traceroute problems with clients behind gateway

TekMason

fmunoz001
Level 1
Level 1

Almost 6 months later and the new firmware has the same problem. Any ideas how to fix it?

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: