cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting Started with RV345

mallardnathan
Level 1
Level 1

I'm installing a RV345 tonight to replace my RV180. I have a few getting started questions concerning it:

1. Should I delete the guest user group for security purposes?

2. How do I update the USB dongle driver to the latest version?

3. What is the License section of the RV345? I didn't have it on the RV180.

4. Should I add a Domain name to the router under system?

5. Should I enable logging?

Screenshots attached as well. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ktonev
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

My name is Kristian and I am one of the Small Business Engineers at Cisco.

Please find answers to your questions below:

1 - While it is not required, if you feel the need you can delete the default credentials for security purposes.

2 - There is no option to upgrade the USB dongle version separately. 

3 - Licensing is a new feature for RV series routers which was introduced with the RV340/345 series. To find out more about licensing, please press on the "Learn more about Smart Software Licensing" link in the Licensing section of your router.

4 - Adding a domain name to your router is not a necessity and depends on your specific configuration and topology.

5 - I'd advise enabling the logging functionality as it is very useful in troubleshooting issues related to the device.

Hope that helps!
Kris

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ktonev
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

My name is Kristian and I am one of the Small Business Engineers at Cisco.

Please find answers to your questions below:

1 - While it is not required, if you feel the need you can delete the default credentials for security purposes.

2 - There is no option to upgrade the USB dongle version separately. 

3 - Licensing is a new feature for RV series routers which was introduced with the RV340/345 series. To find out more about licensing, please press on the "Learn more about Smart Software Licensing" link in the Licensing section of your router.

4 - Adding a domain name to your router is not a necessity and depends on your specific configuration and topology.

5 - I'd advise enabling the logging functionality as it is very useful in troubleshooting issues related to the device.

Hope that helps!
Kris

Thanks for replying! Answers below:

1. I found out I cannot delete the account, but I can disable it, so I went ahead and disabled it. I should be set there.

2. Sounds good. I'll just ensure my firmware updates are applied and that should take care of it.

3. Will look into this. Thanks!

4. Sounds good. I don't think I need this.

5. Great to know and will enable it.