cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting started with VPN

Shawnwchandler
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I am just getting started with VPNs and bought Cisco RV130 and RV130s based on reviews and rep (I took back other companies units as they had varied issues rendering them unable to meet my needs).

what I am trying to do is setup a rv130 with a vpn to allow remote mobile users access to a FileMaker database server. I want to setup Rv130w units in such a way I can send them to multiple users and not have to tailor them to each user other than perhaps a login name and password. Ideally the end users will have dynamic DNS. Security is not a concern, just speed ease of use and reliability but I am having issues figuring out what type vpn to setup and what ip addresses I enter into the setup, i.e. Wan address, endpoint, etc. The server is setup with a DynDNS dynamic ip although soon I will probably be getting a static ip from the isp. I'm green as to vpn so any suggestions or help is appreciated.

update: all of the routers have the newest firmware

2 Replies 2

jonrodr2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I hope you are doing well, my name is Jonathan and I am part of Small business here at Cisco.

I apologize for any inconvenience with the unit. Please refer to the admin guide below, on page 108 you will find the steps to configure the client to gateway vpn this is the type of vpn that you will require to allow access to remote users, the other option would be a PPTP server connection which allows connectivity from the remote client as well,

https://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=369c0b58157a47219d945410f26905c6_Use_Shrew_Soft_VPN_Client_to_Connect_with_IPSec_VPN_Server_o.xml&pid=2&respid=0&snid=4&dispid=0&cpage=search

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rv130w/admin_guide/en/rv130w_admin_en.pdf

Sorry perhaps I wasn't specific enough; I do not want to use software client because of the different systems each user has. I want to configure the RV130 to the server with a vpn so users can work from anywhere accessing a FileMaker database on the server. I want to configure the vpn on several RV130w units that they can use anywhere without having to reconfigure. The server will have either a static IP address (not setup yet) or use DynDNS such as server.ip.net. Guess I'm just a little confused when the manual mentions local and remote addresses (remote is the person using vpn from home?)