Views
Helpful
Replies

Highest firmware version for this RV042

reycapoy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to ask if what is the highest possible version for this RV042 to have. Under System Information, it shows

Firmware version :    1.3.9 (Apr 24 2007 13:03:25)     CPU :    Intel IXP425-266     DRAM :    32M     Flash :    8M

Cisco has the latest this latest version " RV042, RV082, RV016 firmware 4.2.1.02-tm (V3 hardware required).  How do I know if the RV042 is a v3 hardware?

Thanks,

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

1.3.13.02-tm is the latest on RV042 V1.x hardware, which is Linksys branded.

RV042 V3 hardware can be identified on the product label at the bottom of the device, where PID VID should show RV042 V03.

V3 hardware is branded as Cisco Small Business.

View solution in original post

I do not recommend the 1.3.13 firmware unless you have to.  There were changes made to the firmware when Cisco released new device versions and rebranded the small business line.  From what I have seen these changes cause the routers to have random issues.

The 1.3.12.x firmwares are all stable.  I have most of my V1 RV042's on the 1.3.12.19-tm, some are still on 1.3.12.6-tm, and they are all running great.  If you have already gone to 1.3.13, you can downgrade, but you need to return to factory defaults and reprogram after downgrading. 

Also, with any firmware upgrade, go into the VPN Client Access page and Generate a new SSL certificate.  The one on your old 1.3.9 firmware will be corrupt/invalid after upgrading.  Don't try to use the QuickVPN, it doesn't work, but this SSL cert is used for https access to the web management.

The V3 hardware has significantly improved the performance of the ProtectLink service over the V1 hardware.

The ProtectLink service was first introduced in RV042 firmware 1.3.12.6-tm as an optional service.

Yes, you have to upgrade the firmware first to see the feature.

7 Replies 7

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

1.3.13.02-tm is the latest on RV042 V1.x hardware, which is Linksys branded.

RV042 V3 hardware can be identified on the product label at the bottom of the device, where PID VID should show RV042 V03.

V3 hardware is branded as Cisco Small Business.

I do not recommend the 1.3.13 firmware unless you have to.  There were changes made to the firmware when Cisco released new device versions and rebranded the small business line.  From what I have seen these changes cause the routers to have random issues.

The 1.3.12.x firmwares are all stable.  I have most of my V1 RV042's on the 1.3.12.19-tm, some are still on 1.3.12.6-tm, and they are all running great.  If you have already gone to 1.3.13, you can downgrade, but you need to return to factory defaults and reprogram after downgrading. 

Also, with any firmware upgrade, go into the VPN Client Access page and Generate a new SSL certificate.  The one on your old 1.3.9 firmware will be corrupt/invalid after upgrading.  Don't try to use the QuickVPN, it doesn't work, but this SSL cert is used for https access to the web management.

Hi Tekliu and dondersconsulting,

Thank you all so much guys for this very informative replies.  Actually the reason why I was just trying to upgrade the firmware is perhaps for me see the Protectlink tab.  Just in case we will purchase a ProtectLink license for a 1 year or 3 year subscription.

The V3 hardware has significantly improved the performance of the ProtectLink service over the V1 hardware.

Hi Tekliu,

What could be the cause why I am not seeing the Protectlink Tab in our RV042 GUI interface? Does this mean I have to update the firmware first?

Thanks,

The ProtectLink service was first introduced in RV042 firmware 1.3.12.6-tm as an optional service.

Yes, you have to upgrade the firmware first to see the feature.

Hi Tekliu,

Aha! So that would me I need to upgrade the firmware of the RV042 to 1.3.12.6-tm.

Thank you very much and have a nice day.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: