cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPsec on the RV042 and Sierra Compatibility

erin
Level 1
Level 1

I just started work at a small business with a Cisco RV042 router that's out of warranty.  They've been running a PPTP VPN server for several years.

My boss upgraded her  laptop to Mac OS Sierra (10.12), which doesn't support PPTP.  Our RV042 looks like it has other protocol options, like IKE, L2TP, and IPsec, but I've been having trouble getting them to work with Sierra.

She used the third party Shimo client for a 30 day free trial, but that's not a long term solution, since we can't give every offsite freelancer running Sierra a $50 Shimo account.

I called the Cisco support line, and the guy suggested I look up Shrew Soft VPN, which is free... however, I can only find uncompiled .tar file for Mac that seem impossible to install (it's home brew tap is long gone, and why can't I get cmake to work?).   If there's no Shrew Soft GUI client for Mac, that's not a good solution for freelancers.

I followed the Cisco set up instructions for a Client to Gateway Group VPN but have had no luck connecting with Sierra.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 Replies 3

erin
Level 1
Level 1

So, replying to my own message... I followed some steps from this Cisco article to see if I could establish a connection using IPSecuritas.  I can't. In the debug log I get stuff like this:

compression algorithm can not be checked because sadb message doesn't support it.

inappropriate sadb acquire message passed.

IPsec-SA request for x.x.x.x queued due to no phase1 found.

no established ph1 handler found

found a ph1 without ports.

extract_port

Hello, my name is Jonathan and I am part of the Small Business Department.

I apologize for any inconvenience, with this case you will need to try a 3rd party software as you mentioned that works with Mac, If Understood correctly you were able to connect with Shimo, but it is not an option for you, what i can suggest would be either thegreenbow which has a free period to test same as Shimo but it will be with windows, android or linux, or Ipsecuritas, that will be compatible with Mac, the issue is that Shrew Soft is not compatible with Mac. let us know if one of those options work for you. 

Thanks

A very helpful phone support agent walked me through setting up an IPsecuritas profile that worked.... but only with a static IP address.  That's not helpful for logging into our VPN from home or on the road.  I've been desperately trying to come up with a dynamic IP authentication solution but nothign seems to work.

I called Apple Enterprise Support, and it was their opinion that this is a Cisco problem. Cisco ought to support Macs running the most current OS.