cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to use "Router" mode on some ports and NAT for others (via VLAN, etc.)?

JDCarter0
Level 1
Level 1

Background:

I have a WRVS4400N and I need to use router mode to connect to our new ISP.  The new ISP provides a Hatteras (HN 404) Ethernet WAN device with a gateway address (/30) and a subnet of 13 public IP's for our use (/28 subnet).  I'm told that the HN 404 does not provide any routing itself as it is strictly a Layer 2 device.  I have another Cisco router that I'd like to chain off the WRVS4400N and provide it one of these public IP's on one of the LAN ports and take a second public IP and create a NAT private LAN available from the remaining LAN ports and the wireless.  I'm assuming that the ISP uses static routing for now.

Question:

Is it possible to use static routing from the WAN port to route the public IP's through to one or two LAN ports on the WRVS4400N and NAT one of those public IP addresses to a private LAN (ex. 192.168.1.x) that's available from remaining LAN ports and wireless on the WRVS4400N?

Thanks for any help!

1 Reply 1

juunda
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

The type of configuration you are trying to do is not possible on our device, it can only be on router or gateway mode you cannot seclude the ports in different modes, you can cascade two routers if you wish by turning one into a gateway and the other as a router but you can't do that just based on the ports sorry about that, hope this helps clear any doubts.

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: