cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISA550W inter-vlan routing

edisoninfo
Level 1
Level 1

Where can I find simple instructions on getting this to work? It seems so straight forward and yet it refuses to work. What I've tried:

1. Added a new Vlan (5) and assigned it 10.0.0.1

2. Added a new Zone and assigned it to the new Vlan and assigned it to physical port 3 on the router in trunk mode

3. Plugged new server into port 3 on the router and gave it 10.0.0.5

4. Added a firewall rule to allow traffic from the Default zone to the new zone

5. Added a firewall rule to allow traffic from the new zone to the Default zone

6. Rebooted router

No luck.

From the default 192.168.5.x network I can ping 10.0.0.1 just fine.

From the default 192.168.5.x network I can NOT ping 10.0.0.5. (Traffic status shows increasing # of packets Tx but 0 Rx)

From the new vlan (10.0.0.x) I can not even ping the 10.0.0.1 at all.

From the router troubleshooting Ping routine it will not ping 10.0.0.5 either

The logs in debug mode show the successfull traffic from 192.168.5.x to 10.0.0.1

The logs in debug mode show nothing when trying to ping from 10.0.0.5 to 10.0.0.1. It's as if it isn't even plugged in

2 Replies 2

edisoninfo
Level 1
Level 1

OK, I got it working tho I'm not sure I understand why. When I assigned the physical ports to the vlan I selected access instead of trunking and it works fine. I guess I thought trunk meant it passed all traffic through on both networks not just the primary. Guess I better go read up on access vs trunk.

Hi Gary, my name is Luis I am part of the Small business Support community. I just want to say thank you for using our forum, and I am glad to see that your issue is already resolved.

It is important to us to let you know, that you can post any inquiry that you have, we will be more than glad to assist you.

Greetings,

Luis Arias.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.