Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC/IP binding confusion

Daniel Ernwein
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I got confused with my RV220W when trying to map IP/MAC binding. I think I actually got a conflict within the network because of my settings, leading to some weird effects. It took me a few hours to understand what was going on.

I found that I can bind IP/MAC addresses through the Networking tab, LAN > Static DHCP, and through the Firewall > Advanced Settings > IP/MAC Filtering... My mistake was that I had previously set a map through one location (Firewall), and when adding a device and updating the map in Static DHCP, I had forgotten about the other map... You don't want to experience that, believe me!

Now... what's the point of having 2 locations to create a "similar" map? Is there any real difference, and if so, what are the pros/cons of using one or the other?

Should I maintain both maps simultaneously for extra security, or that's totally useless?

Thanks for your help!

Daniel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

trietche
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Daniel,

This is a very interesting point you bring up and I did some looking into it for you. When you do the IP/MAC binding, you are binding an IP address that has already been assigned to a device inside or outside of your network to the MAC address of the device you are receiving traffic from that you know will have that static address. The point of this is so that if you get an IP address different from the MAC address, it will drop all of those packets in an effort to protect your network from someone trying to mask themselves as the device with that MAC. The other feature under Static DHCP is used more so that when DHCP is active, you can pinpoint a device within your network by reserving an IP address, such as a switch, for easy maintence. When the device is connected to the network, it will be given the IP, rather than IP/MAC where you are identifying the IP that has already been assigned.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Trevor Rietcheck

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

trietche
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Daniel,

This is a very interesting point you bring up and I did some looking into it for you. When you do the IP/MAC binding, you are binding an IP address that has already been assigned to a device inside or outside of your network to the MAC address of the device you are receiving traffic from that you know will have that static address. The point of this is so that if you get an IP address different from the MAC address, it will drop all of those packets in an effort to protect your network from someone trying to mask themselves as the device with that MAC. The other feature under Static DHCP is used more so that when DHCP is active, you can pinpoint a device within your network by reserving an IP address, such as a switch, for easy maintence. When the device is connected to the network, it will be given the IP, rather than IP/MAC where you are identifying the IP that has already been assigned.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Trevor Rietcheck

Thanks a lot for your answer Trevor.

I am trying to make sense of what you explain.

I assume that if I want to use both sections, it is essential to make sure that one MAC will always be mapped to the same IP in both settings.

Then, I understand now that both sections don't actually have the same effects.

The firewall settings will, as I should have expected, provide security and protection against any threat.

On the other hand, the Static DHCP settings will simply reserve the given IPs to those specific MACs.

BUT I cannot use the Firewall section to reserve IPs, since it is not designed to do so, right?

Now, I assume that your explanation does make sense now, and I understand why my devices where acting weird, as both maps were set with different settings as I had forgotten about the 2 sections...

Thanks again!

Regards,

Daniel

You are correct. The Firewall will not reserve the IP. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask!

Glad to be of service to you!

Regards,

Trevor

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: