Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT with Dynamic ISP IP - RV160

RossSnow41537
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Is there a way to configure the Cisco RV routers (in particular the RV-160W) for NAT using a dynamic ISP IP?

I reviewed the NAT section in the user manual for the RV-160. All I see is a how to configure NAT with a static public IP. My ISP doesn't provide that. My modem gets the public IP from the ISP dynamically. 

Thank You. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi RossSnow,

Scenario 2) would not work. You can try to implement Policy NAT on RV160 using the "From interface" setting to be WAN1 without specifying the public IP address, enter the source address "Any" and then translate to your internal network. Do this NAT for each network you'd like to create custom NAT policy i.e. 192.168.100, 192.168.2.200 and 192.168.3.300.

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi RossSnow41537,

Yes, you can. On the WAN settings-->connection type tab you can set the ISP public IP address to be either Static, DHCP, PPPoE, PPTP or L2TP. You can also visit the device online emulator to get familiar with the device web GUI: https://www.cisco.com/assets/sol/sb/RV160_Emulators/RV160_Emulator_v1-0-00-14/index.htm#/wan

Regards,

Martin

Martin, thank you for your answer. I took a look at the emulator. That makes sense; I can set the RV160 WAN to receive the ISP IP dynamically. 

I have two more questions:

1) Do I use the Policy NAT configuration if I have a dynamic ISP IP? I don't see how to configure the static NAT, because that configuration requires you to enter a specific public IP. That's the problem though, I don't have a static public IP. (See attached screenshots from the emulator). 

2) If I wanted to let my modem/router handle NAT from the ISP to an inside IP subnet, could I then set up the RV160 to do another NAT between the single modem/router subnet and multiple other internal subnets. See the attached diagram of what I am thinking. Would this be a valid configuration?

Thanks Again!

Can anyone help me with the above? Thanks again!

Hi RossSnow,

Scenario 2) would not work. You can try to implement Policy NAT on RV160 using the "From interface" setting to be WAN1 without specifying the public IP address, enter the source address "Any" and then translate to your internal network. Do this NAT for each network you'd like to create custom NAT policy i.e. 192.168.100, 192.168.2.200 and 192.168.3.300.

Regards,

Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: