Views
Helpful
Replies

Need a how to: RV180-K9-NA Routing and DHCP

kmholan01
Level 1
Level 1

Here’s what I’m trying to do:

I have one VLAN on a HP 1810 24 port switch (latest firmware) that supports VLANs. On this VLAN I have 2 DHCP servers running on W2k12. This DHCP server has two scopes: 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x. The default gateway to the internet is 192.168.1.1 and is a DLink router connected to the switch. All machines are currently on the 192.168.1.x VLAN.

I bought a Cisco RV180-K9-NA to handle the second VLAN (192.168.2.x). I would like to have the RV180 route all traffic to the switch for local traffic and internet traffic through the switch to the gateway 192.168.1.1. I would also like the RV180 to forward all DHCP requests to the two DHCP servers. I would like to do this by forwarding the broadcasts but if I have to provide just a single IP for the DHCP Relay I can live with that.

If possible I would like to use the RV180 WAN port to connect to the switch and the other 4 ports for machines. But if I have to use 1 of the 4 ports as the uplink to the switch I could live with that as well.

I spent a full day trying to get all this to work without success. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

3 Replies 3

lariasqu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Kevin, thank you for using our forum, my name is Luis I am part of the Small business Support community. I am not sure if I understand well, could you please share to us your topology? Also be more specific with the result that you want to reach…

Thank you for the information.

Greetings,

Luis Arias.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

I included a visio of my topology. Do you need something further?

I have one VLAN on a HP 1810 24 port switch (latest firmware) that supports VLANs. On this VLAN I have 2 DHCP servers running on W2k12. This DHCP server has two scopes: 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x. The default gateway to the internet is 192.168.1.1 and is a DLink router connected to the switch. All machines are currently on the 192.168.1.x VLAN.

I bought a Cisco RV180-K9-NA to handle the second VLAN (192.168.2.x). I would like to have the RV180 route all traffic to the switch for local traffic and internet traffic through the switch to the gateway 192.168.1.1. I would also like the RV180 to forward all DHCP requests to the two DHCP servers. I would like to do this by forwarding the broadcasts but if I have to provide just a single IP for the DHCP Relay I can live with that.

If possible I would like to use the RV180 WAN port to connect to the switch and the other 4 ports for machines. But if I have to use 1 of the 4 ports as the uplink to the switch I could live with that as well.

Is there enough information or is there something more I can provide? Is what I'm trying to do possbile with this device? I'm trying to decide whether to keep or return it.

Thank you for any input.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: