cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help: Cisco RV-220W v1.0.4.17 login error after firmware upgrade!

Mr.DJ_DK_
Level 1
Level 1

After doing a firmware upgrade yesterday, from the v1.0.3.5 to the latest v.1.0.4.17 I suddenly get the following error, when trying to login into my Cisco router:

Login to Cisco RV 220W error after firmware upgrade.jpg

Something about a security certificate being wrong(having same serial number as another one). Using MS Explorer 9 I can still "force" acces to the login menu, but obviously this shouldn't be necessary and I would like to get my router working properly.

The update procedure was as follows: Download latest firmware file. Acces firmware upgrade menu in the router and selected the file. Waited couple minutes undtil the "countdown" reached zero. Got an acces error. Tried doing an windows network repair(because of a network notification error). Then tried accesing the internet and it worked(I think it did before the repair also). Did a network repair again, was advised to try and switch the router off-on again. did that...don't get any small notification error icons on the network acces icon anymore. But I still get the error about wrong security certificate, when I try and acces the Router login menu.

Any help or info would be appreciated!  :-)

Cheers!

Ps: The error pop-up window is in danish!

4 Replies 4

Thierry CLAUSS
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Daniel

tried to delete the old certificate store firefox???

cordially

Thierry

Thanks for the suggestion Thierry!

But after looking around, the only real fix seems to be to get a new Cisco certificate, but I currently don't know how to get that. Is there a guide that Cisco recommends or that proved working for others?

I have tried out the suggestions from this site = http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/i-continually-get-a-security-certificate-error/273f6629-bedb-492a-a355-967c62e8fa3e?msgId=9b37326c-8349-4cf8-98f7-888b66359c6d but to no luck. I succesfully installed a new certificate, but still get the certificate error. Problem is, as I understand it, that the certificate I'm using has same publisher and owner, and they should be different....under "normal" circumstances, it would be considered ID fraud and a possible security threat and is treated as such by IExplorer and Firefox!

I also found a post from another user on this forum, warning about upgrading to this latest firmware, and he seems to mention my issue too. Here's the quote about my issue:

Joergen Thomsen wrote:

2) The firmware is released with a reissued certificate with the same serial number.

This is bad practice and should simply not happen

It is preventing access to the router from e.g. the Firefox browser.

Old Certificate:

Data:

Version: 4 (0x3)

Serial Number: 14872231 (0xe2eea7)

Signature Algorithm: sha1WithRSAEncryption

Issuer: CN=588D09E2EEA7, OU=RV220W, O=Cisco Systems, Inc., C=US

Validity

Not Before: Mar 13 02:40:08 2009 GMT

Not After : Mar 11 02:40:08 2019 GMT

Subject: CN=588D09E2EEA7, OU=RV220W, O=Cisco Systems, Inc., C=US

New Certificate:

Data:

Version: 3 (0x2)

Serial Number: 14872231 (0xe2eea7)

Signature Algorithm: sha1WithRSAEncryption

Issuer: CN=588D09E2EEA7, OU=RV220W, O=Cisco Systems, Inc., C=US

Validity

Not Before: Jan  1 00:00:15 2011 GMT

Not After : Dec 29 00:00:15 2020 GMT

Subject: CN=588D09E2EEA7, OU=RV220W, O=Cisco Systems, Inc., C=US

You can find his thread here = https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3715375#3715375

Would be nice with a permanent fix to the issue!  :-)

It's been seven months since this problem with the v.1.0.4.17 upgarde was posted. Has anyone found a fix to the "security certificate" error?

Don't count on a timely fix. This and every other Cisco "SMB" product is a steaming pile of bug riddled crap. We have maybe 10 of these deployed and none of them are stable enough to be considered VPN endpoints of any kind. I have gone round and round with Cisco support regarding numerous unfixed but well documented issues. We are in the process of moving customers to UTM devices that are more stable and backed by real support, not an overseas call center reading from a flow chart. We have had similar (worse) experiences with the UC-320 platform and most of the other SMB routers and access points. Threre is simply no excuse for products that are this bad, especially from a company with resources that run as deep as Cisco.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: