Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help configuring RV180 network

Jazzyman11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have a service centre that test/repairs IP enabled devices. A simple PC test application communicates to devices via UDP packets. I need to setup my test intranet envirement exactly as production. My issue is I can't seem to resolve my network addressing. Note: Test device IP configuartion must not be changed, test application must be able to ping 10.90.206.34

*Host PC*

IP 192.168.60.86

subnet 255.255.255.0

*Test device* (can't be modified)

IP 10.90.206.34

subnet 255.255.255.240

gateway 10.90.206.33

Can anyone recommend how I can us a RV180 (or multible) to resolve my issue?

Cheers

Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steve,

Excellent glad you got it working.

First thing that strikes about the second problem is that it's different subnet. Why don't you just create a new vlan on the router. You can have 4 vlans on those routers. You can have them both going at once then. You may also want to consider opening a new thread on the new problem.

Thanks

Tony 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

tony.henry_2
Level 1
Level 1

Steve,

I think the easiest way would be to configure the "WAN" ethernet port as 10.90.206.33 255.255.255.240 and connect the test device to it via a switch or crossover cable, and configure the internal VLAN as 192.168.60.1 255.255.255.0 and set the default gw on the host PC as 192.168.60.1.

The other alternative is to use secondary addressing on the VLAN. I'm not sure that the RV180 supports secondary addresses. (I've never used one).

HTH

Tony

Hi Tony,

thank you for your reply.

What should I put in the WAN static IP setup for Default Gateway and Primary DNS? These are both reuquired fields.

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

Assuming that it's all just stand alone. Go with 10.90.206.34 as your defualt GW from your router, and  DNS, It won't work but I don't think it'll matter.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Still no good. I've restored to factory default get get a clean slate.

A few silly questions.

Should RV180 be in router mode or gateway(NAT) mode?

I have two RV180s so would it be easier to do a back to back setup?

Steve

Steve,

Should be in router mode. What is'nt working beyond the whole lot? Have you got link lights on the router and the systems? Can you ping the default gateways?

Tony

Steve,

Should have RTM. It's even easier than what I was going on about earlier

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv180w/administration/guide/rv180w_admin.pdf

Page 34  shows you how to create a VLAN and assign a port to it. Make sure you heed step5 and enable inter vlan routing, and you should be OK. No need to mess around with the WAN port at all.

oh yeah, should change the thread to be in the "small business router" section as well.

Thanks

Tony

Hi All,

Orginally tried via VLAN with no success but I'll started from screatch again and it's now working!

Only one issue now when testing another divce with a diferent IP address. When I try to change the Multiple VLAN Subnet from 10.90.206.33 to 10.90.206.225 I get "Configured IP Address already in use" and reverts back to 10.90.206.33.

Do I need to clear some thing before making the change?

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

Excellent glad you got it working.

First thing that strikes about the second problem is that it's different subnet. Why don't you just create a new vlan on the router. You can have 4 vlans on those routers. You can have them both going at once then. You may also want to consider opening a new thread on the new problem.

Thanks

Tony 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: