Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help configuring VPN Connection on RV042G

MaTriX999
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

i got a problem in configuring a VPN Connection for our Colleagues (Laptops & Iphones 4/4S/5)

We got an RV042G .

A WAN Connection from Deutsche Telekom AG with Static IP connected in WAN1. Configured for PPPoE.

Ive got configured a Port Forwarding on our SBS 2011 Server for OWA and other Services on web.

Thats not the problem. that works fine.

I´ve got extreme Problems configuring VPN Connections.

We use Quick VPN, other tools got to much buttons to click .

1st i configured a Group VPN , with FQDN (Remote Group) Local Group (IP only) .

i configured 2 users.

Then on a Laptop connected to the internet through an Hotspot Connection of an Iphone.

I entered the WAN IP .. Username. Password. Pressed ENTER.

I get to the point of Verifyiing Network, and after it timeout with Remote Gateway not responding. Do you want to wait.

If i Press Yes, after max. 1 minute there comes the message again.

I looked in the VPN Summary, and i see, that my username was connected through VPN for seconds, but then disconnected.

Do i have overseen an option to configure??

Can anyone help me, get this thing running?

4 Replies 4

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Good morning

Thanks for using our forum

Hi Nils vom Lehn my name is Johnnatan and I am part of the Small business Support community.

In order to resolve your problem, you can follow these steps:

1. Verify that your firewall computer has not a rule that block the VPN traffic.Also you can use another computer.

2. Verify your router configuration using this infirmation:

If you want to configure a PPTP VPN client.

http://www6.nohold.net/CiscoSB/Loginr.aspx?login=1&pid=4&app=search&vw=1&articleid=303

http://www6.nohold.net/CiscoSB/Loginr.aspx?login=1&pid=4&app=search&vw=1&articleid=452

If you want to configure a Quick VPN client::

http://www6.nohold.net/CiscoSB/Loginr.aspx?login=1&pid=4&app=search&vw=1&articleid=570

3. Go Firewall>General>Disable “Block WAN Request”

4. Go Firewall>General>Enable ”Remote Management”

5. Go VPN>VPN Pass Through>Verify all option be “enable"

6. Create these two firewall rules in your computer

http://www6.nohold.net/CiscoSB/Loginr.aspx?login=1&pid=4&app=search&vw=1&articleid=2922

I hope you find this answer useful, if it was satisfactory  for you, please mark the question as Answered.

Please rate post you consider useful.

Greetings,

Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.

Cisco network support engineer

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

I've followed these instructions with a new RV042G that has been updated to the latest firmware and I'm using the latest QuickVPN software on Windows 7 - 64 bit.  In item #6, above, what was the second rule?  I saw the ICMP Echo rule on the inbound firewall.

Note that PPTP would be fine if we could use more than 5 connections, but it is my understanding that the RV042G only supports 5 such connections.  Is that the case?  If not, this may be an non-issue for me.

Thanks!

Good morning

Hi Gene, thanks for using our forum, the first rule is configure an Inbound rule in your firewall, and the second one is exactly the same configuration than the first one, but this time in the Outbound section.

About the PPTP question, it supports just 5 PPTP tunnels for remote access.

I created a document about this problem you can see it here. I hope you find this answer useful,

*Please mark the question as Answered or rate it so other users can benefit from it"

Greetings,

Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Hi Jonathan,

I'm still having difficulty.  I confirmed the following on the RV042G:

1. On Firewall->General, Firewall is enabled, Block WAN Request is disabled, Remote Management is enabled.

2. All Passthrough options are enabled on the screen, VPN>VPN Passthrough.

I searched for and can find no rule blocking access between my computer and router - in fact, PPTP works without issue and I can ping the device's IP from the command line of my computer.  Unfortunately, we need more than 5 simultatneous connections so we need to get QuickVPN working.

On my computer, I verified the following:

1. OS is Windows 7 with the latest updates applied.

2. Firewall is turned on and rules allowing ICMP echo are turned on for both incoming and outgoing traffic. (i.e. both rules were created.)

3. The anti-virus software was disabled (tested with it both on and off).

When I attempt to connect with Cisco QuickVPN, this is what appears in the log (I removed the server ip address from the log):

2013/02/05 20:34:59 [STATUS]OS Version: Windows 7

2013/02/05 20:34:59 [STATUS]Windows Firewall Domain Profile Settings: ON

2013/02/05 20:34:59 [STATUS]Windows Firewall Private Profile Settings: ON

2013/02/05 20:34:59 [STATUS]Windows Firewall Private Profile Settings: ON

2013/02/05 20:34:59 [STATUS]One network interface detected with IP address 192.168.0.105

2013/02/05 20:34:59 [STATUS]Connecting...

2013/02/05 20:34:59 [DEBUG]Input VPN Server Address = SERVER_IP

2013/02/05 20:34:59 [STATUS]Connecting to remote gateway with IP address: SERVER_IP

2013/02/05 20:35:00 [STATUS]Remote gateway was reached by https ...

2013/02/05 20:35:00 [STATUS]Provisioning...

2013/02/05 20:35:09 [STATUS]Success to connect.

2013/02/05 20:35:09 [STATUS]Tunnel is configured. Ping test is about to start.

2013/02/05 20:35:09 [STATUS]Verifying Network...

2013/02/05 20:35:15 [WARNING]Failed to ping remote VPN Router!

2013/02/05 20:35:18 [WARNING]Failed to ping remote VPN Router!

2013/02/05 20:35:21 [WARNING]Failed to ping remote VPN Router!

2013/02/05 20:35:24 [WARNING]Failed to ping remote VPN Router!

2013/02/05 20:35:27 [WARNING]Failed to ping remote VPN Router!

2013/02/05 20:35:30 [WARNING]Ping was blocked, which can be caused by an unexpected disconnect.

2013/02/05 20:35:33 [STATUS]Disconnecting...

2013/02/05 20:35:37 [STATUS]Success to disconnect.

When I trace the traffic with WireShark, I get a packet that says "414 Desination unreachable" when the router tries to ping back to my device which is on a non-routable address within my private network, though the packet seems to be making it to my machine (that's where I was running Wireshark.)

I think I've set up everything correctly on the router and host computer.  The hang-up seems to be the ICMP from the router to my host.  Is there a way to disable that?  Is there something else I should be looking at?  Did you see anything from my description that I might be missing?

Thanks,

Gene

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: